Optimising hot water schedule

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... I stuck a circulator pump on the DHW
Did you use a bronze pump or similar? I used a common or garden central heating pump and had 2 or 3 fail. I am told I should have used a non-ferrous pump but at the moment I have the last failed pump still in place.

Not compliant with potable water regs.
Interesting. TBH I have no clue whether the regs are the same over here. It never occurred to me to check. It was certainly a bad move as far as reliability goes though.

Maybe to some but don't take anything for granted, assuming something is obvious can easily mean you overlook something and people are more than capable of anything.

As an aside.
I've left my room thermostat (in the hall) at 16.5c 06:30-22:30 each day.
Normally by this time of year it would be on 21c.
It has been mild recently but the temp in the hall has been between 17c-19.5c at around 07:30.
End of day it has risen to 18c-20c just by having the sun on the front of the house.

No more walking around in my pants and a t-shirt in the mornings.

Bills might still be higher than before but saved unnecessary use of gas.

Wood burner used for the first time yesterday evening. Just a few logs to take the chill off.

Maybe to some but don't take anything for granted, assuming something is obvious can easily mean you overlook something and people are more than capable of anything.

I'm pretty sure that we all know that DHW is an open system and that if you add inhibitor, it will end up in the drain, as most of us do have hot water taps in our dwellings.

Big combi boiler is good. Hot water on demand - no tanks or storage.
Optimising CH controls - we turn rads on if room is cold and off if too warm, or room not being used.

Optimising CH controls - we turn rads on if room is cold and off if too warm, or room not being used.
Yes, it's all very well for you to say that Jacob, but not everyone would be able to figure that out for themselves. Apparently we're a bit thick in this neck of the woods.

No good for me.
Low mains pressure.
Two bathrooms, 10 radiators.

Is your heating on all the time then and just controlled by radiator valves?

No good for me.
Low mains pressure.
Two bathrooms, 10 radiators.

Is your heating on all the time then and just controlled by radiator valves?
Controlled by on/off thermostat in main living room with rad left open. You have to have at least one open when the system gets switched on - I presume - not sure what happens if you don't!
Could take the thermostat to another room if desired, but never do.
Thermostat is programmable but we never bother except it's currently set to come on if the inside temp drops to 13º which it never does, so it's just on/off and adjust rads if necessary.
Haven't had CH on since last winter so it just does DHW.
Have been room heating with wood stove alone - rocket-stove fashion i.e. small charge of small dry stuff burning fast for quick heat output. Can warm the room very quickly just burning a few scraps and bits of cardboard. Having to reduce the sizes in my log pile for faster burning. You can see the difference on the glass - it doesn't soot up like it used to as it's doing a faster and cleaner burn most of the time.
Also have insulation everywhere i.e. is most important issue of all and most cost effective in the medium term though I haven't done any calcs on that one.
Did calcs on DG - would never pay for itself, totally cost ineffective, though this may change with fuel costs of course.

There was some case where someone was trying to help a person fix a Pc over the phone, they went through many potential faults but it was only when they ask the person to look at the connectors and they replied " I will need a torch because we have a power cut that the penny dropped".

My brother does programming with a bit of support for the programs he has written. He has stopped using the instruction "hit any key".

As an update. HW schedule has been tweaked to incorporate a 2 hour blast every couple of days to stop it automatically heating water in the middle of the night.

Have managed not to put the heating on since summer. Target has been today - end of November.

Left thermostat on a summer setting of 16.5c and the lowest it has been is 17.5c. Last year we would have had it set to 21c and the house would be overheated.

We have had the log burner on in one room when it has felt too cold.
Without heating the house feels damp at times so I've been using the dehumidifier during the day.

Not running the tumble dryer, which we used to not give a second thought about using in winter. Instead the dehumidifier has a laundry setting and it does an amazing job of drying the clothes in a couple of hours in a spare bedroom. It doesn't cost much to run.

Definitely changed our approach to heating the house and our winter gas usage has dropped dramatically.

Weather has been pretty mild so far. As it gets colder I'll probably set the thermostat to 18c to keep the background heat up.

I think this will permanently change our approach to energy use.

Back