Elu Belt Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrightclan

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone any experience of this sander?

d27f_1.jpg

I know Elu is generally well respected. But this sander looks a bit unwieldy. Not that I use a handheld belt sander a lot; but there are times when one comes in handy. Opinions?

Brad

I have a couple of that model and 1 that is larger..

They are quite heavy, but belt sanders generally are.

I personally find them great and havent had the need to change them in all the years iv had them.

Good machines, long may my elu's live....

Marky

Marky":3cf5q38o said:
They are quite heavy, but belt sanders generally are.

IMarky

I was meaning, as compared to other belt sanders. Are you saying that the Elu handles as well as others of equivalent size?
I guess I was thinking it looked unwieldy due to layout (dustbag at the front, front handle on top, etc.) more than weight.
Brad

I have one, yes it is a little unwieldy until you get used to it, but before this model I only had a Bosch, no competition, mines been to hell and back , still going strong.

I have one (bought secondhand from a car boot sale), and have not used it a great deal yet. However from first impressions, I found it much better balanced than my little Kress belt sander. It's also considerably lighter and easier to handle than the big Elu (MHB90?/DW650 type). Out of those three, it'll probably become the one I reach for first for most jobs.

One other comment I can make is that the dust extraction, on mine at least, leaves a lot to be desired. If I start using it heavily I'll probably try to come up with a vacuum cleaner attachment for the dust outlet.

The design has been around for a long while, and shows no signs of disappearing: either the Elu model you show or a very similar one lived on as the DeWalt DW430/431, I believe, until fairly recently. DeWalt eventually replaced the DW430/431 with the DW432/433, which, by their own specs, are less efficient (new models have 800W input for 360W out; older ones were 650W in for 360W out) and heavier in weight (5.6kg vs. 2.8kg or 2.9kg).

Quite soon after DW discontinued them, the old Elu designs seem to have reappeared as the Draper Expert BS75A - PDF link and a Wickes `Professional' model. If you compare the spare parts diagrams for the Draper and the Elu, you'll find more than a passing resemblance, although I have no idea if these clones are being manufactured to the same quality standards as Elu themselves did.

Hope that's of interest/use.

Cheers

Neil

tigerturnings":2up28wcl said:
One other comment I can make is that the dust extraction, on mine at least, leaves a lot to be desired. If I start using it heavily I'll probably try to come up with a vacuum cleaner attachment for the dust outlet.

Did you ever come up with an attachment? I have this problem! :eek:

Thank you! If that's what it seems to be, I am delighted! So hard to Google for...I guess you'd need to know DeWalt took over Elu and that the models are often v. similar.

Back