Electric vehicles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I own a petrol car and I can put 500 miles worth of petrol into in less than 5 minutes. I am assuming you own an EV, can you put 500 miles of range into it in less than 5 minutes?
Sounds expensive to me, I don't need 500 MLS range but I do supplement my electricity with solar power which means I can drive for free well at least part of if and a super charger can charge my car in around two hours from flat but I never run it flat just like you won't run your tank until empty. So how often do you need to drive 500mls in one go, just curious.

BTW you don't have to assume that I drive an EV because I made it perfectly clear in my first post that you replied to.

Last edited:
I've driven more than 300 miles in a day once in my life. But something does come to mind for BIL and his tesla 3 - it takes more or less overnight on his home charger for his car to go from empty to full - but it costs about 3 cents a mile (his electric rate is 10.5 cents a kw/hr, lots cheaper than mine is further west, but for me, it would be about 4 1/2 cents a mile).

My wife's car is costing around 20 cents a mile at the moment.

Sounds expensive to me, I don't need 500 MLS range but I do supplement my electricity with solar power which means I can drive for free well at least part of if and a super charger can charge my car in around two hours from flat but I never run it flat just like you won't run your tank until empty. So how often do you need to drive 500mls in one go, just curious.

BTW you don't have to assume that I drive an EV because I made it perfectly clear in my first post that you replied to.

I usually top up at a quarter tank. Do I drive 500 miles in one go, not generally, but I do 300 miles + often enough that an EV with current tech would not be suitable. I did 700 miles over 2 days last week, no opportunity for an overnight charge so would have taken me twice as long if I had to stop to charge at service stations. I did one 5 minute petrol stop.

I usually top up at a quarter tank. Do I drive 500 miles in one go, not generally, but I do 300 miles + often enough that an EV with current tech would not be suitable. I did 700 miles over 2 days last week, no opportunity for an overnight charge so would have taken me twice as long if I had to stop to charge at service stations. I did one 5 minute petrol stop.

Then I gracefully accept your point, an EV could do that for you but the cost of it would be high an example is the Best range electric car: Tesla Model S Plaid+: 520 miles. Data from Google.

@Crazy Dave RRP £130k, that's worth more than the flat I live in, the flat I rent because I can't afford to buy it. I drive a 15 year old car and it's not because I like the retro styling.

@Crazy Dave RRP £130k, that's worth more than the flat I live in, the flat I rent because I can't afford to buy it. I drive a 15 year old car and it's not because I like the retro styling.
Please don't think I'm some rich git with all the toys he can dream of because that definitely isn't the case here and I fully understand where you're coming from.
For me it was a necessity to furnish myself with cheap to run low maintenance transport as I'm no longer physically capable of servicing an ICE car myself due to ill health. I bought my EV with a loan against my home because being on benefits I'm never going to pay it off so will no doubt die in debt and the mortgage company can have the lot. BTW not married, no kids.

Thank you for the stimulating conversation. God bless you and be safe.

I make regular trips of 300miles and trips of 500miles every other month, so electric is not an option.

More deprived and less well off areas are likely to be less well provided with EV recharging facilities. No great surprise - so far as I am aware current fuel stations are provided entirely by the private sector on a "for profit" basis.

Why should EV charging points be any different?

Solar panels are now ludicrously cheap: I just replaced 40 panels (10kW output) with 28 panels with marginally more output for under £5,000. I paid 6 or more times that for the originals 10 years ago.

According to https://ecocostsavings.com/average-electric-car-kwh-per-mile/ you need 34kW hours to travel 100 miles, so a 10kw panel system (which is a fairly hefty area of panels) would need a minimum of 3 hours of sunshine to replace that energy. If you park your car at home, and don't travel more than 100 miles per day, then that might just do you (except in December and January or anywhere north of Birmingham).

If you commute to work, and don't work the night shift, your car is not connected to your panels when they have output, so you either need to swap the electricity with the grid (or sell it or similar) or store it in a battery to charge the car at night. More expense, and less efficient.

It only really works if you don't do enough miles to justify the expense of self - generating your own electricity (or live in London, where your car is mostly stationary when in use?) Really annoying, because I have a load of no longer very efficient panels that I can't really put to good use. I'm looking to power my water pumps , as that is my major electrical expense. Travel will have to wait until I can buy a 15 year old Nissan leaf for peanuts.

Ford just released the EPA figures for the F150 - 230 - 300 miles carrying a 1000lb load or over 400 mile no cargo

@Rorschach Why not? Same system will be used in new BEV Transit van, lighter chassis, more cargo capacity similar range. The resistance you put up about living in a way that helps you and yours and those around you live longer healthier lives, while not actually having to do very much in order to have a postive impact, is truly epic, unless of course you're able to divert everybody else's cash into your pocket doing so. Yeah yeah we know your poor and can only afford a 2 donkey power trabant because you need to save up for 70 years to be able to buy the porch on your dream home. Most of the people on the planet are far worse off than you are and the majority rent for most of their live. If you can't afford a prick and ping house then do something about it; either politically or financially. Tell us what you actually make and sell and then we may be able to help you do/sell more rather than being our resident secret squirrel about your woodworking business. Buy some agricultural land and put a caravan on it - live there and begin the process of getting it's use changed and build your own home. You can get a very good and efficient and inexpensive home from cob (clay sand and straw). All available where you are for very very much cheapness ie free. Or do some research and seize unregistered/abanddoned land and then use it and build on it- get that process going and in 10 years you own it outright along with a nice house. There are loads of ways you can get out of your supposed poverty trap, I know, I've been in far worse, lived in a bush in a park for a year & ate out of the skip behind the super market and the chip shop.

Latest posts

Back