Electric vehicles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No it does not. You are assuming a simple journey Home > somewhere else > home
That is about 95% of current journeys for all privately owned cars.
Granted that excludes business fleets, but they can and often do use the more expensive rapid charging points currently available, as they are not fuel price sensitive as its businesses picking g up the tab for the fuel costs.

103 pages! At 20 posts per page (?), that's 2,060 posts about bloody cars!
There are other aspects of climate change we need to consider, beyond boy's toys!
Personal warmth could be a bigger issue.
Is thermal underwear more important than personal transport?
No idea, Jacob. Suggest that if the length of this thread bothers you so much then simply STFU. There's a lot of interesting discussion going on even though it may be outside your 'world'..

Better to stick to the Palestine thread over on the Jacob sub-forum.....Doh...silly me... :unsure: I forgot. I'm sorry. You've got me on Ignore because I find the holes in your posts.

Last edited:
That is about 95% of current journeys for all privately owned cars.
Where is your evidence to support that statement ?
Granted that excludes business fleets, but they can and often do use the more expensive rapid charging points currently available, as they are not fuel price sensitive as its businesses picking g up the tab for the fuel costs.
You're wriggling now. You were maintaining that it was a doddle to charge your car at home. That the infrastructure could cope. Now you are saying that it's not relevant because business fleet owners won't be charging at home. I'm confused now as to what you're suggesting.

The early versions of the Prius were basically the worst of all worlds; the battery was so tiny that you had almost no electric-only range, as soon as you got up to (I think it was) 30mph the petrol engine kicked in, the petrol engine was noisy and gutless, and as a result you spent most of your time lugging round the weight of the (now empty) battery and motor, with the engine wheezing away. Oh, and the battery was really expensive to replace.

Granted, I'd expect modern versions to be way better.
I see that's why the taxis always drive at 25mph near me it use electric rather than getting the petrol engine up to speed? I presume they are plug in hybrid?!

Hi Phil, pleased to meet you. I’m someone who has on multiple occasions had to go out specially to get fuel, drive in the wrong direction and generally find trying to get to a petrol station a pain in the proverbial.
Most recent Example: Last Friday night my wife told me she was going to visit our daughter in the morning and she hadn’t filled up with fuel. On the route we take we do not see a fuel station until we almost reach Bristol. I had to go out on Friday night to specifically fill up the car.
Paul....how long have you lived there ? Seriously, you come across as an intelligent (albeit slower driver ;) ) and I can see from a quick Google that there aren't a lot of petrol stations near Shepton Mallett. So....doh!!...keep the car filled up when you pass. Not rocket science.

Never looked at those, just thought it was another Hybrid that can run ICE or EV, but when you look closer then it is a clever drivetrain. Using two motor generators but one allows connection to the front axle and a lower power engine is used as the battery can give the extra power when needed so a cleaner vehicle but without needing to need pluging in.
Yup. And as a techie you can call up a graphic on the wee screen to see which way the charge is going. Not a good idea DAMHIKT.

Paul....how long have you lived there ? Seriously, you come across as an intelligent (albeit slower driver ;) ) and I can see from a quick Google that there aren't a lot of petrol stations near Shepton Mallett. So....doh!!...keep the car filled up when you pass. Not rocket science.
I’m actually in a village a few miles south east of Shepton so the scarcity of filling options is even worse. There is one in Shepton, a couple in Wells and then Frome or Midsommer Norton. All of them similar distances away. I’m not the problem. My Landrover always has a few hundred miles of fuel in it. The problem is my wife is more than capable of ignoring the 10 miles left warnings her car gives her.

I’m actually in a village a few miles south east of Shepton so the scarcity of filling options is even worse. There is one in Shepton, a couple in Wells and then Frome or Midsommer Norton. All of them similar distances away. I’m not the problem. My Landrover always has a few hundred miles of fuel in it. The problem is my wife is more than capable of ignoring the 10 miles left warnings her car gives her.
Ah...so it's a domestic issue rather than ICE v EV
smile.png

I sorted that problem out years ago. I keep the car filled. S'easy.

So she'd ignore it when it has little charge in it.:)

Where is your evidence to support that statement ?

You're wriggling now. You were maintaining that it was a doddle to charge your car at home. That the infrastructure could cope. Now you are saying that it's not relevant because business fleet owners won't be charging at home. I'm confused now as to what you're suggesting.
Wriggling, I don't think so. What it means is that existing infrastructure can support longer journeys, if you're prepared to pay a premium for rapid charging.

Stats from Nimble research group.
Average Car Journey Distance in the UK20192020Driver travelling alone7.7 miles7.0 milesCar ride with a driver and passengers9.1 miles8.9 milesAverage car trip length8.4 miles7.9 miles

1699602695045.png

1699603015760.png

1699603174312.png

I see that's why the taxis always drive at 25mph near me it use electric rather than getting the petrol engine up to speed? I presume they are plug in hybrid?!
Could be. Though all taxis seems to drive slowly (more time for the meter to rack up a higher charge I suspect).

One thing the Covid saga has taught me is that, who controls the statistics supplies the numbers, so you can quote statistics all day on any subject and I would still look out of the window to see if it is raining. Yes, I had the first three jabs because at that stage I believed that I was protecting others, only to find that was a lie as transmission had not been tested. Proof of all this is Jacob trawling the internet to find staistics that support his argument on almost any subject.

John Brown, you might but I don't and I suspect many others don't.
All of this discusion about what powers vehicles is pointless. Any UK government decides its budget (and then overspends) and taxes the working people to fund it. If they loose one cash cow (motoring), they will tax whatever replaces it. So EV might bask in their cheap charging at the moment but no government of whatever colour will allow that to continue. While I am at my rant, The argument that you can dismiss company car drivers charging at expensive chargers "as the business pays" is absolutely wrong. No business pays any taxes, they COLLECT taxes from their customers and that is built into the selling price.

I can only quote my own experience in travelling by train for the past months through disability and it has been much better than I expected (probably clouded by my pre-car days in the 1960s). As to price, I admit that I did buy a £30 vetrerans railcard that gives 1/3rd off, which resulted in a bill of approximately £75 for a round trip of 500 miles, much cheaper than I expected. One benefit of this railcard is that you can get early trains, which is essential for long journeys.

Latest posts

Back