Electric chainsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a makita which I use for cross cutting logs and preparing turning blanks. Seems plenty powerful enough for me, reasonably quiet and I can use it in the workshop if it's cold and wet outside!

Poor quality or old petrol (or just plain kn****ckered) can be solved with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner either directly through the spark plug hole or the air intake.

With an old intractable lawnmower it works a treat - a loud explosive bang and once warmed restarts fine. A chain saw should be little different. Probably not a good idea with your brand new stihl saw or honda mower ........

Terry

Thanks guys, I will check the teeth and bar to see of that solves the problem.

Regarding starting difficulties, I know of one mechanic who used to warm the air intake of diesel engines using a hot air gun to help starting. Might work on petrol engines too? He used to avoid squirting 'Easy Start' or similar because he reckoned the burning of these in a high compression diesel engine would cause damage to the rings and cause lower compression, This then meant difficult starting from then on and so required Easy Start all the time when cold. Same applies to using petrol to start a Diesel engine.

K

Hi all,
well I bit the bullet went to screw fix and bought a titan chain saw tried it and was very surprised works well cutting 10"trunks into logs size bits thanks for all reply's well pleased
Pip

I've used an electric Makita a lot. Much cheaper and no problem as long as you are near a socket! Which is the only advantage of a petrol driven.

Latest posts

Back