Edge bander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pompui

Reaction score
Can any one suggest a low cost edge bander I see they have one at Axminsters but I would still have to trim and sand.[/size]

I had a look around the recent w8 trade exhibition at edgebanders. If you want to band and trim you are looking at quite a few thousand pounds even for an entry level machine. I have decided that for the ammount of edgebanding i do paying 4-5k for a machine just doesnt make economic sense. I am considering the jet/freud table top models or something like this. http://www.trimbridge.com/TL7-hand-pro-edgebander.php to speed things up a bit without breaking the bank.

jon

What sort and thickness of edging?

Thin (<1mm)?, thick (2mm, 3mm), plastic (ABS/PVC) or strat (formica)? Pre-glued or not?

What sort of work? Straight edges or curves?

Glue pot or glue pack? Glue pot machines take at least 15 minutes to get going.

Portable or fixed?

How much space do you have?

We have 4 big machines at work, great for large runs, but they're seriously big bits of kit (10m long) and can take hours to setup properly.

How low cost is low cost?

Steve,

Well, I was going to ask all of those questions too... I started to look into what I thought would be a simple science... Oh... how little did I know...

In the end, for my stuff I would go with the TrimBridge... I chatted to the guy who makes them and if people gave medals for being enthusiastic, he'd get one !!

However... An iron and cloth is appealing as long as you are not doing too much... Just make sure you don't do it in a cold room...

Paul.

p.s. You can get some bloody expensive gear for doing this on...

p.p.s. These guys sent me an email today. They sell hand cutting tools...
"We are offering a 10% show discount off our RAUKANTEX tools, which we were demonstrating on our stand." www.rehau.co.uk/industry

There is also the handheld Virutex machine, SLH do them at a reasonable price complete with the Virutex trimmers.

Jason

I am using 1mm pre glued edging I suppose about 50m a day with a hand held iron I have not a lot of space for big machine, very little curved work
mainly kitchen and bedroom furniture . I use a small edge trimmer and a iron out of a old hand plane. I have googled edge banding machines but they cost serious money and seem very big. I sure there most be a small compact machine that does the same work as the big ones

If I was doing 50m a week I would buy a machine let alone 50m a day

It will soon pay for itself, say you bought a small Herbrock machine that trims for about £2300. If you said it saved you one hour a day it would have paid for itself in 70days/14weeks. Its a no brainer

Jason

pompui":3pz82q9z said:
I am using 1mm pre glued edging I suppose about 50m a day with a hand held iron I have not a lot of space for big machine, very little curved work
mainly kitchen and bedroom furniture . I use a small edge trimmer and a iron out of a old hand plane. I have googled edge banding machines but they cost serious money and seem very big. I sure there most be a small compact machine that does the same work as the big ones

Look at the machines suggested above.

What makes the big machines expensive (and large) is that they are designed to work with much thicker edging materials (2-3mm) and apply glue rather than using pre-glued edging. Not to mention we're talking in capacities of 500m/hour or more...

For iron-on (at home and in the factory), I use a "window scraper" (one of those things that take stanley knife blades) and a file, then make a few passes with a spare machine blade (similar to what you'd use in a power planer) to put a slight chamfer on the edge. Everybody at work uses a slightly different method and tools to get the same result, it's really a matter of personal preference.

I was looking at something similar the jet 1 at axminster and there is another 1 on ebay has any 1 ever used these type.
I made a similar 1 a few years back with a iron on its side cut in a bit of slate with a few rollers either side was not a great success.

Thanks for all the suggestions

I've got the jet one and I wouldn't recommend it. In fact with a good old fashioned non steam iron I'm just as quick.

i use a iron and a school leaver very cheap
and if the school leaver does anything wrong i use the iron on him
he has only made one mistake

Back