Ebony

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobC

Reaction score
Just a quick one ....... How does ebony behave on the lathe ? I've only done hand carving using ebony and know it's hard graft, just wondering how it behaves on the lathe before thinking of a new project. Thanks in advance.

I'm not a turner but I do use a lathe. I've turned many ebony finials, pediments and other small items for furniture and found it very easy BUT... the dust and mess from the stuff! Make sure you wear a good mask and have good ventilation and don't mind black dust everywhere.

It turns well as said but is dirty stuff. Easy to get a fabulous finish but can have a tendency to break off bits if you don't use sharp tools.

Pete

Thank you very much for the replies, all taken on board :D

Blackwood is another favourite of mine. The wife's favourite wood is ebony, so I have to do something with ebony :lol:

This may be heresy :0 but black acetal turns beautifully using a spindle gouge, with a finish you dont really need to touch. And comparatively cheap. No dust either, just yards of black curly shavings :).

woodfarmer":21q99aiu said:
This may be heresy :0 but black acetal turns beautifully using a spindle gouge, with a finish you dont really need to touch. And comparatively cheap. No dust either, just yards of black curly shavings :).
Definitely heretical and should be burned at the stake but wood's for turning not burning. :twisted:

Back