Ebay returns

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldhead

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to return an item I bought off eBay, the seller (a business) has emailed me a returns label, I'm not sure whether to just return to seller (with proof of postage) or whether I should also claim via eBay for goods not as described, I've never had to return anything in the past, has anyone ever done this before?

Thanks

Baldhead

If the seller has agreed a return (which seems must be the case if he's sent a label) just return it and he will return your money.

My advice is don't get eBay involved unless absolutely necessary. There should be no need with a good seller.

Many sellers, if asked, will also refund return postage on a faulty/wrong item. They won't if you involve eBay as eBay only require they refund the item cost and the original postage - not the cost of getting the item sent back.

RogerP":1ibd9p3u said:
Many sellers, if asked, will also refund return postage on a faulty/wrong item. They won't if you involve eBay as eBay only require they refund the item cost and the original postage - not the cost of getting the item sent back.

I think that only applies with private sellers, business sellers legally have to pay return postage on a "not as described" item.

Correction: both private and business sellers have to pay return postage on a "not as described" item. It's only when the buyer changes their mind that private sellers don't have to pay return postage although they can if they want to.

I'm sure the rule was changed some time ago. I remember buying something a long time ago that turned to be faulty but the cost of sending it back was more than what I paid for it, and also I couldn't leave negative feedback without the risk of getting a neg in return, that has changed as well.

if the item is damaged or not as described the seller still has to pay the return postage under ebay rules,i took delivery of a damaged plane that had been wrapped in a piece of cloth and shrink-wrap and requested to return it but the seller said it was at my cost ,i point out that they were responsible for the delivery and heard nothing back from them,i got in touch with ebay who sent a returns label and when it was delivered to the seller i was issued a full refund,
regards david

Thanks to you all.

The seller emailed me a returns label, I have sent the item back, they should receive it tomorrow or Monday at the latest, I'll give them until Monday for my refund, if the moneys not put back into my paypal account I'll contact eBay.

Baldhead

It won't do any harm to give them a couple of extra days. I sent stuff back and didn't get the refund for 4 days.

People have other things to deal with. You can still go to ebay if you don't get it.

davem62":1ck849gf said:
if the item is damaged or not as described the seller still has to pay the return postage under ebay rules,................ david
Can you show me where this "rule" is please? All I can find is the following.
We'll contact the seller and ask them to solve your issue within 8 days. After 8 days if the problem can't be resolved between you and the seller, you've paid using PayPal and your claim qualifies for coverage with the eBay Money Back Guarantee, eBay will arrange for the purchase price plus original shipping to be refunded through PayPal.
Notice that return postage is not covered.

Ebay is very good at getting your money back. It's up to the seller to pay for the thing to be returned if he wants it back, otherwise you can just bin it. Or repair it - I've got several items which are Ebay freebies as they weren't worth returning but were just about worth mending.

The seller may chose to not require the return of the item but they don't have to refund you if you won't. Otherwise obviously the whole system would open up major scams! The seller, under eBay rules, does not have to refund return postage. Above I've just quoted eBay's rules showing this quite clearly. A decently seller may well refund the return postage or even say keep the item for free but that's their choice and is not imposed by eBay.

I concur with RogerP. I have had a few items to return in recent months that were not as described and some sellers have actually advised to raise a dispute and let it run its course, as more often than not ebay then provide a return postage label (they send it in an email that say their rules say they don't have to and that the buyer is responsible for returns but for customer relations etc they have decided to). ebay use the collect+ service, so I just stick the label on, get the tracking number, follow the ebay link to enter it and they refund the money (before it actually arrives at the seller).

Heres one of their emails (this was when a car parts sent a completely different set of bulbs to that purchased)

"Good news. We issued you with a full refund of £59.98 on 18 Nov, 2014 that you should receive within 24 hours to the PayPal account you used to purchase the item. The refund includes the purchase price plus original P&P. Please log in to PayPal and view the history page if you don't see it in your PayPal balance. In some cases we are aware that this may take a few days but please note that you will receive an email to notify you that your money has been returned to your account.
We would like to thank you for using the Shipping Label which we provided you with to return the item to your seller. As you may recall from our previous email to you, when an item is returned to a seller we must wait until the item has been successfully delivered to the seller before we can issue a refund. However, as our tracking system shows that you have already sent the item back to the seller and it is with the seller or it will be very shortly, we don't want to delay you getting your refund any longer as you have promptly followed all the necessary steps."

Dave

RogerP":1bvneo0n said:
The seller may chose to not require the return of the item but they don't have to refund you if you won't......
Well obviously not, but they do have to pay the return postage. They send a pre paid label which you print out.
If you do it through ebay rather trying to negotiate with a bad seller, ebay gives you your money back (after a week or so of waiting) whether or not you have sent the stuff back. I've got one to do today - they sent me the wrong lap top charger, ebay gave me the money back a week ago as the seller was really slow at responding.
Buying through Paypal amounts to a guarantee - it works very much in favour of the buyer. Quite right too as you don't know what you are getting until it arrives, but the seller knows.

I was just thinking this over, which is dangerous I know.

If a seller sends you an item which is broken or not as described, then he has sent you something which you did not order,"unsolicited item" and therefore if he want's it back he would be required to pay the cost of having it picked up from you.

Back