eBay - Paying via PayPal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dibs-h

Established Member
Reaction score
Just tried to buy something (small value) on eBay and pay via PayPal, like I've done hundreds of times over the years and the "computer kept saying no" - compliance reasons apparently. The item is from a UK business seller and not even remotely suspect.

I wonder if eBay & PayPal have taken their toys home and no longer playing together.

Just tried to buy something (small value) on eBay and pay via PayPal, like I've done hundreds of times over the years and the "computer kept saying no" - compliance reasons apparently. The item is from a UK business seller and not even remotely suspect.

I wonder if eBay & PayPal have taken their toys home and no longer playing together.
Could it be something to do with the two factor authentication that came in a few months ago.

I think paypal fees are becoming an issue and sellers are saying no. If you look at items on ebay they are often 10-18% more expensive as the sellers fees add up. Ebay is pushing cards i notice and its own payment system. Paypal i think is like american express , ie pretty pricy

it's probably related to something the seller hasn't done properly. It can be as simple as not having matching information between ebay and paypal and then not doing the legwork to call paypal and resolve the situation.

it could also be that the transaction meets a type that paypal has recently described as one they're looking to root out or an account holder that has done some of that in the background.

If a seller doesn't actually accept paypal at all, you won't be able to attempt using it.

At the checkout - it lists PayPal as a payment method as does the item listing.

As for the item it's a 50m Cotton washing line\sash cord. LOL

I bought something off ebay yesterday afternoon for £10 paid by paypal no problems. Maybe they have admin problems with the seller. So I dont think ebay and paypal have "fallen out"

The simple issue in the UK is that when a seller sells an item and the buyer pays by PayPal (or any other way) instead of ebay sending the money to the sellers PayPal account (as they used to), ebay now send the money to the sellers bank account.
"As an eBay seller, you'll receive your payouts in your linked bank account"
This does not affect a buyer in any way.
The seller has probably not linked a bank account to his ebay account so ebay cannot receive a payment via PayPal
or has just decided not to allow PayPal as a method of payment

Last edited:
I regularly use Paypal to pay for ebay goods, with and without a Paypal balance, without it charges the linked card you have with Paypal

If you haven't used Paypal for a while it may need you to update your card or details as now when you access Paypal you get a text code to input to ensure its you, perhaps you don't have a phone number set up?

Yep, never had issues before. Last order for something was about a fortnight ago. As folk have pointed pointed out - must be something up with the "seller".

Cheers

Dibs

Yep, never had issues before. Last order for something was about a fortnight ago. As folk have pointed pointed out - must be something up with the "seller".

Cheers

Dibs

In the states, I get an email about once every 6 months for new paypal restrictions. Business to personal overseas transactions and the converse will be banned in about a month or two here based on the last one I received. None of the restrictions ever do much for established personal users or non-business sellers (as in, just private individuals selling off unused stuff on ebay), but the legal agreement updates to knock out scammers seem to be constant.

I haven't tried to reach paypal or ebay customer service (like real people) in a long time outside of the dispute process. They intentionally make it like that - but I have stored in my email, ebay's uncirculated human contact email help address that you'll end up trolling around in if you have a problem so odd that you get a response from a human.

I've used it in the past a couple of times. They respond with the answer each time and then request not to use the email address for direct questions.

which is a fine request on their part. Except i'll continue to use it when I really need to until they block me from doing it since they actually provide an answer.

Ebay now pays the seller next day - when they first set up the new system they 'hung on' to tthe money for about 4 days + weekends. I guess they fell foul to some law or other.

Fascinating.

I rarely buy anything from Ebay these days and I gave up on PayPal in favour of using a credit card some years ago when there was some public shenanigan-issues concerning the clarity of their consumer-protection that I didn't like the smell of.

In the UK we have what is termed 'Section 75' - a statutory protection scheme, (a bit complicated to explain, so look it up) which applies to transactions over £100 up to £30000 that are paid with a Credit Card. Below £100 there is a 'chargeback' procedure.... less protection but still better than nowt.

I suspect that with PP, as it is not a credit agency and is not covered by Section 75, you are dependent on its owners discretion........ both as a seller and a buyer.

Fascinating.

I rarely buy anything from Ebay these days and I gave up on PayPal in favour of using a credit card some years ago when there was some public shenanigan-issues concerning the clarity of their consumer-protection that I didn't like the smell of.

In the UK we have what is termed 'Section 75' - a statutory protection scheme, (a bit complicated to explain, so look it up) which applies to transactions over £100 up to £30000 that are paid with a Credit Card. Below £100 there is a 'chargeback' procedure.... less protection but still better than nowt.

I suspect that with PP, as it is not a credit agency and is not covered by Section 75, you are dependent on its owners discretion........ both as a seller and a buyer.

consumer protections are also really high in the US for private individuals using credit cards. business fraud if you have a business card is not as good, apparently.

with paypal, you just use a credit card as the default method of payment.

what people didn't like with paypal is that sellers are required (and probably all users) to have a bank account linked because of poor behavior by prior scam sellers. New users also have to leave money in the paypal account for a while so that if a buyer make a claim, paypal has money to retrieve from the seller.

I didn't like having to link up a bank account, but nothing has ever come of having it linked.

If one uses a credit card here as a private individual within paypal, you get at least two levels of protection as a buyer. I used paypal with a japanese proxy shipper who denied a claim- they packed something for me, the way they packed it caused the item to break and I requested a refund of at least the fee they charged for "protective packaging" since they packed the item bulging out on the ends of the box and it broke. They said "no refund, you didn't insure". I reiterated "not looking for a refund on the item, just the service charge for packing". they said "no" (customer service isn't much of a thing in japan). I contacted paypal, let them know the situation, said I wanted $22 of refund on a $550 purchase out of principle, but wasn't requesting refund of the item that I had shipped and within 15 minutes, paypal forced the proxy shipper to refund everything. They were pretty mad. Paypal doesn't have much of a choice as the credit card itself would've probably dropped the hammer on everyone down the line had I gone to them out of need. they generally provide the money back immediately, and then cut you as a buyer out of the process so that it's "no hassle". you never know who ends up paying for what they refunded, but I'm sure it's in the vendor agreement with the card processors - so paypal would get stuck with it and then they'd have to subrogate against the proxy shipper in this case.

The whole thing is like a one sided version of mutually assured destruction. The threat of the credit card doing the dirty work makes everyone else down the line move on their own because it's worse for them I guess via agreement cost incentives if the credit card company subrogates from them.

Long story short, as a buyer or seldom seller, a lot of people hate paypal, but they hate paypal for doing things that are generally necessary to thwart scambags. If paypal shouldered more of that cost themselves, we'd all just have higher fees to make up for it.

Ebay now pays the seller next day - when they first set up the new system they 'hung on' to tthe money for about 4 days + weekends. I guess they fell foul to some law or other.

Once they start to hold money, they run afoul of banking regulations. In the US, one of their sub companies, reverb.com, used to allow you to hold money you made selling things on their site and get a fee discount for using the money. It was only something like 1%, but the gesture was nice.

I've bought and sold a bunch there. At some point, they abruptly changed policy and now they dispense my money as soon as I print a label. Not even once the label scans into the system (I have a good account history, though). I think they probably got whacked by some of the states here in the US for keeping money in deposit but not following banking regulations. Some of the crypto exchanges are going to get sued for the same thing. All it takes is for someone to complain to a state attorney general (like top end of the law enforcement and compliance) about a website holding their money, and the A.G. is instantly going to say "which bank is this?". When the answer is that it's not a bank, men with pocket protectors will be on the case in a hurry.

consumer protections are also really high in the US for private individuals using credit cards. business fraud if you have a business card is not as good, apparently.

with paypal, you just use a credit card as the default method of payment.

what people didn't like with paypal is that sellers are required (and probably all users) to have a bank account linked because of poor behavior by prior scam sellers. New users also have to leave money in the paypal account for a while so that if a buyer make a claim, paypal has money to retrieve from the seller.

I didn't like having to link up a bank account, but nothing has ever come of having it linked.

If one uses a credit card here as a private individual within paypal, you get at least two levels of protection as a buyer. I used paypal with a japanese proxy shipper who denied a claim- they packed something for me, the way they packed it caused the item to break and I requested a refund of at least the fee they charged for "protective packaging" since they packed the item bulging out on the ends of the box and it broke. They said "no refund, you didn't insure". I reiterated "not looking for a refund on the item, just the service charge for packing". they said "no" (customer service isn't much of a thing in japan). I contacted paypal, let them know the situation, said I wanted $22 of refund on a $550 purchase out of principle, but wasn't requesting refund of the item that I had shipped and within 15 minutes, paypal forced the proxy shipper to refund everything. They were pretty mad. Paypal doesn't have much of a choice as the credit card itself would've probably dropped the hammer on everyone down the line had I gone to them out of need. they generally provide the money back immediately, and then cut you as a buyer out of the process so that it's "no hassle". you never know who ends up paying for what they refunded, but I'm sure it's in the vendor agreement with the card processors - so paypal would get stuck with it and then they'd have to subrogate against the proxy shipper in this case.

The whole thing is like a one sided version of mutually assured destruction. The threat of the credit card doing the dirty work makes everyone else down the line move on their own because it's worse for them I guess via agreement cost incentives if the credit card company subrogates from them.

Long story short, as a buyer or seldom seller, a lot of people hate paypal, but they hate paypal for doing things that are generally necessary to thwart scambags. If paypal shouldered more of that cost themselves, we'd all just have higher fees to make up for it.
Here in the UK section 75 makes the credit card company as legally liable as the supplier etc. It is not a matter of that credit card companies choice.

I thought it was all done and dusted, i.e. Paypal had issues with the seller - I haven't paid or tried to pay with PayPal since - clearly they don't seem to be done. With me at least.

Got an email from them, didn't click on the links & logged into PayPal directly and got this message:

paypal.jpg

Now they want copies of a Gov't issued ID and proof of address. On an account (personal) that's been running for over 16yrs. The mind-boggles.

Time to knock them on the head I think.

Back