Ebay P&P

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldhead

Established Member
Reaction score
I am the winning bidder on an item which I have picked up for a fraction of there true value, when I bid the P&P cost was £4.50, when auction ended the P&P price had changed to, 'contact seller for P&P charges' (or words to that effect).
Has anyone come across this before?

Baldhead

No, I have not seen that before but £4.50 is very low. Even though I would not be happy.

You may of course contact the seller and they tell you the postage is £4.50.

Good luck.

Mick

The only reason I can think of is if your address is not mainland UK and the item is to be shipped by carrier.

It shouldn't have let the seller edit the item if a bid has already been placed - those are (or at least were, when I was selling a lot) ebay's rules. Are you sure they hadn't changed it and you didn't notice before you made a bid?

Sorted, I have paid what the original listing said (£4.50), it's strange that when the auction ended it said 'contact seller for postage options', perhaps as Mr_P says it may be a glitch in the system. I have contated seller and they said the item will be posted on Monday, the auction also originally said Royal Mail 1st class, TBH that sounds very cheap for 6 sheets of plastic A4 size!

Baldhead

Depends how heavy these plastic sheets are but first class small package up to 1k is £3.20.

niagra":5v20c3jf said:
It shouldn't have let the seller edit the item if a bid has already been placed - those are (or at least were, when I was selling a lot) ebay's rules. Are you sure they hadn't changed it and you didn't notice before you made a bid?
I agree, ebay shouldn't let the seller edit the item once a bid is made, if you look at the photo below, on the top thumbnail on the left you can see my winning bid £2.39, under that is the P&P cost £4.50, yet if you look at the main picture it says ask seller for postage quote! This has never happened with any item I've bought from ebay.

Baldhead

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 857
Roger when I clicked on 'pay now' it links to my paypal account, the receipt shows the price I paid and the P&P charge which was £4.50, I just can't understand how the listing had changed after the auction ended, when I made the first post I suspected the seller was trying to inflate the P&P costs as there were only two low bids but thats not the case. Very strange.

Baldhead

I think perhaps this is for buyer who want an earlier or different delivery and are willing to pay for it. For example, may want it delivered to a works address and wants it signed for or directed to a particular person... etc.

I think Ebay changed the postage cost info on completed listings. Before the change, an individual completed listing still shows the postage price but now it says "varies" and "Postage cost can't be calculated. Please enter a valid postcode." Or "Will post to United Kingdom. Read item description or contact seller for postage options.".

The search results list from "completed listings" still shows the postage though.

Back