easy wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris Eagles will be demonstrating the new Easy Wood Tools at our open day in July. I guess it is cheating, but for me its a bit like having quick change disposable planer blades. I have those and I am not going back.

Easy wood are good for people who enjoy turning rather than grinding or who don't want to invest in a grinder and jigs.

I am of course bias as Wood Workers Workshop are the original importer, but customers do keep coming back and buying more from us.

Cheers Peter

They don't have to be expensive, there's one or more threads on here somewhere about buying the tips and making your own shafts.

They are very effective for fast stock removal.

Cheers, Paul

Why s it cheating? I learned to turn initially in school with no chucks and only scrapers and so do I consider chucks and gouges as cheating?

Pete

Hi

I don't regard using these tools as cheating but I do feel that they may limit the range of skills learned. These tools and their counterparts by other manufacturers are, at the end of the day, scrapers - despite what the advertising bumph says they do not replicate the action of gouges, skews etc.

I have no doubt that they are good for doing what a scraper does and the replaceable carbide tips will virtually eliminate trips to the grinder - if that's what you want then you should give it a try, (homemade versions will save you a substantial amouint).

I prefer to use gouges, parting tools and skews over scrapers, so whilst I have some replaceable tip scrapers, they don't actually get that much use.

Regards Mick

If they work for you fine. They do have a place in some workshops. I personally don't use them as the cost is above my means. I would rather make a plan to buy a book on turning if I was just starting out and learn to make better looking pieces. If you are selling your pieces the customer does not care what tool you used. The important thing in turning is to strive to make the best looking bowl, art piece, spindle work, hollow form and vase etc. Please remember the tool does not do the work or make the master piece it is the person who is holding and manipulating the tool. All manufactures always promote there products as the next best thing to sliced bread, and not saying a word about the fact you may need some guidance in the tools use. Cheers Roger C

The big advantage of the carbide inserts/tips designed for wood use is the sharpness of the cutting edge, as received and after prolonged use they can be finger cutting sharp so perform far more efficiently than the equivalent stiff bladed HSS scraper.

For some tasks the rigidity of the supporting tool shaft, especially if you construct your own, and the much reduced chance of getting a catch can make a daunting stock removal task a simple risk free operation.

Sure a clean bevel rubbing finishing cut is a pleasure to experience, but there are a lot of instances where the rapid removal of bulk material without catch risk is a sensible action.

Why hone the skills of rollerblading and dodging the potholes to get to town when you can hop on a 'bus.

I made up my own set of tools using the Easy Wood Tips. I made 6 tools at a cost of about £10 each. As others have stated they certainly have their place in the armoury of tools available. Chas rightly points out that for rapid stock removal especially from an unbalanced piece of stock they are superb and in my mind make the operation a lot safer than conventional tools. They also make hollowing out end grain a breeze.

I would say that in my case they have helped improve my turning abilities but they have not taken away from me the skills required for using conventional turning tools.

I think that the main advantage with carbide tipped tools is the time that they hold their cutting edge, I have been using some of the tools that I made for 6 months now with little or no touching up of the cutting tip.

Vic

Never used them myself but it is too easy to become precious about tools. If they make the donkey work easier why not use them? As Vic implies working with unbalanced stock isn't the easiest job in the world.

Random Orbital Bob":3khhuxvv said:
Right then. I'll get me coat :)
Be much more productive if you get a Carbide Tip and a length of Mild steel bar to make up a usable tool.

I honestly can't see the point Chas. I have lovely sharp gouges and at least 4 different kinds of scrapers including tipped ones from Robert Sorby that positively hog material off. I accept entirely the point about folks who don't have the sharpening kit can avoid that investment, but I do so sharpening for me really isn't any bother.

I already have kit that delivers the benefits that have been documented here so personally I remain to be convinced in purchasing more scrapers. Don't get me wrong, I'm no stranger to accepting innovation, but for me I like it to be really different from existing approaches. I honestly can't see that these tools are any thing more than a scraper that doesn't need to be sharpened as much. So we'll all just have to respectfully agreeable in our disagreement

Perhaps the word cheating was a tad inflammatory with hindsight but for new turners is see the easytools as a danger in camouflaging the necessary skills development evolution via the classics like the gouge, skew etc

They're just not for me that's all. No biggy :)

Like many things if it suits some one all well and good, so if you can find one to try first and see if it is for you. Steve you know what I use to turn with and for me I am quite happy with what I have, except for a 1/2" bowl gauge

CHJ":3963fy92 said:
Why hone the skills of rollerblading and dodging the potholes to get to town when you can hop on a 'bus.

Because it is more fun :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: well not at my age

There's a bit of a misconception with these Tips, they deserve to be viewed as Nil Rake Cutters rather than just scrapers, don't think many conventional 'scrapers' can remove this sort of volume in one single travers cut on a lump of Cherry.
DSC02945.JPG

Hi

Zero rake cutter :? - doesn't that depend on how it's presented to the work and couldn't the same be said with regard to a scraper? Indeed there are negative rake scrapers - referred to by some as hardwood scrapers.

They'll always be just replaceable tip scrapers to me.

Regards Mick

Be much more productive if you get a Carbide Tip and a length of Mild steel bar to make up a usable tool

Chas how do you attach the tip to the steel bar is it just screwed in? And how much should the tip overhang the end?

Latest posts

Back