Getting started

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rufus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've done a fair bit of woodworking, but never tried my hand at wood turning. I've been watching a few YouTube videos and would be keen to give it a try. Does anyone have some good newbie guidance - for example, what sort of lathe and tools to buy, easy projects to start with, best wood for a new turner to use. Thanks.

TBH, at lot depends on what direction you want to go in, small like pens & bottle stoppers, bowls? Up what size, spindle work? Upto what length, Vases and hollow forms? Again size and length.

For first time Turner the setup costs can be high, even used, often tools, chucks, accessories can outcost the lathe.

I would suggest you first look for your local turning club or mens sheds group. Both can be great way to try stuff and see what you like.

Sadly I never went that route as a newbie and wasted £100's of pounds and months of frustration, even gave up for a year. Then found a local informal group that let me join in and got used to the turning scene. They've since disbanded as they've moved away, but that few weeks helped shape my choices, enjoy bowl turning and small stuff and hate spindle work. Which was interesting as my first cheap lathe was long , ideal for spindle work, as was my next used, but more capable lathe, but not ideal for what I wanted to do.

So my advice is definitely search out some local turning, mens sheds or local woodwork group first, try it and see what you like.

Best advice I can give is have a look around for your local woodturning club or a men's shed and get a bit of hands on guided by someone who can turn. It will point you in the right direction and likely save you time and money. A few sessions will give you a good idea of what you need to get started. Its a very enjoyable branch of woodworking so deserves getting a proper start.
Regards
John

TBH, at lot depends on what direction you want to go in, small like pens & bottle stoppers, bowls? Up what size, spindle work? Upto what length, Vases and hollow forms? Again size and length.

For first time Turner the setup costs can be high, even used, often tools, chucks, accessories can outcost the lathe.

I would suggest you first look for your local turning club or mens sheds group. Both can be great way to try stuff and see what you like.

Sadly I never went that route as a newbie and wasted £100's of pounds and months of frustration, even gave up for a year. Then found a local informal group that let me join in and got used to the turning scene. They've since disbanded as they've moved away, but that few weeks helped shape my choices, enjoy bowl turning and small stuff and hate spindle work. Which was interesting as my first cheap lathe was long , ideal for spindle work, as was my next used, but more capable lathe, but not ideal for what I wanted to do.

So my advice is definitely search out some local turning, mens sheds or local woodwork group first, try it and see what you like.
Thank you Sachakins. Very informative. I think your suggestion of giving it a go first and see what I like is very good.

What everyone has said above! Getting hands on advice from people who know what they are doing will also help to make you more aware of basic safety habits. I have several voices in my head that remind me not to leave the chuck key in the chuck, never use a spindle roughing gouge on a bowl, bring up the tailstock, wear a mask etc. etc.

I've done a fair bit of woodworking, but never tried my hand at wood turning. I've been watching a few YouTube videos and would be keen to give it a try. Does anyone have some good newbie guidance - for example, what sort of lathe and tools to buy, easy projects to start with, best wood for a new turner to use. Thanks.
Hi. If a woodworking club/mens shed not available, can I suggest finding a professional woodturner in your area bite the bullet and pay for a day or whatever you can afford tuition. Well worth it, you will get one on one tuition,plus time to ask lots of questions re whatever you are doing plus recommended tools, lathes etc. Might even know of good 2nd hand deal Good luck

Doing a course would definitely give you a head start over trying to learn from book and videos. If you like Youtube, look up Richard Raffan. He has a wide range of videos and his books and DVDs are very good too.

Look out for old records or coronets I got my cl1 for £100 capable of most turning needs, head stock can also be swiveled for larger bowls, mine even came with cl3b bowl turning attachment cl4 chuck and various prong drives

Doing a course would definitely give you a head start over trying to learn from book and videos. If you like Youtube, look up Richard Raffan. He has a wide range of videos and his books and DVDs are very good too.
Thank you. I stumbled across Richard Raffan the other day and that's what started to spark my interest in starting wood turning. I since also found PF Woodturning and like what she does turning bowls from different woods, sometimes with some resin in there too.

Look out for old records or coronets I got my cl1 for £100 capable of most turning needs, head stock can also be swiveled for larger bowls, mine even came with cl3b bowl turning attachment cl4 chuck and various prong drives
I did see a CL1 up for sale locally on FB Marketplace... kind of tempting but I should probably wait until I've tried my hand.

Hi, there's a free turning event at yandles ON TOMORROW...FRIDAY 28TH JULY | 4 - 6PM, with pen turning demo masterclass.

These are coming up at yandles

WOODTURNING COURSES

Absolute Beginners Woodturning Level One - One Day Course
• £125 • 10am till 4pm • Lunch provided in Yandles Cafe

Tuesday 15th August
Tuesday 12th September
Tuesday 10th October
Tuesday 14th November
Tuesday 5th December

Absolute Beginners Woodturning Level Two - One Day Course
• £125 • 10am till 4pm • Lunch provided in Yandles Cafe

Wednesday 16th August
Wednesday 13th September
Wednesday 11th October

* Please Note - Completion of the Level One course is required for attending Level Two

Back