easy wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woodmonkey":19bywsed said:
Be much more productive if you get a Carbide Tip and a length of Mild steel bar to make up a usable tool

Chas how do you attach the tip to the steel bar is it just screwed in? And how much should the tip overhang the end?
As Paulm, has linked, Specifically this post gives a good visual guide to the fixing and quality of shavings removed. Many a Flatwork planer would be happy with them.

I have something similar though can't remember where I got it. I find that it is great from ripping out the inside of goblets so a big time saver for me and leaves a really good finish on all but the worst woods. Mine is set at 45 degrees though not flat and so acts like a ring tool. but not quite so vicious.

Pete

Lots of videos on Easy wood Tools site, I am not a wood turner but they cut a lot faster than any scraper I have ever used.
The new parting tool should be with us for the 12th July. I am more than happy for you guys to come along and see how Chris uses the kit he bought from us and report back.

http://www.easywoodtools.com/videos/

The feed back we do get is the carbide is very sharp, a customer asked me if we could get one of our Sheffield makers to improve their carbide cutters to match Easy Wood. I wish we could, but praise indeed!

Cheers Peter

Vic Perrin":37y584sx said:
For you pen makers out there get the Easy Wood R2 from Peter and it's the only tool you will use from start to finish.

Vic

It's good to hear feedback on the tools Vic, please feel free to leave review's on the tool shop web site on the relevant tools if you like them. Or please let me know if you don't like them :)
Cheers Peter

I have had tools made for me by Chas and Vic,thanks both,to take the Easy tips bought from Peter and they are brilliant,both for roughing and as Vic says hollowing,as thats all i have used them for so far,good fast service from Peter as well. :D

Paul.J":39mztu6g said:
I have had tools made for me by Chas and Vic,thanks both,to take the Easy tips bought from Peter and they are brilliant,both for roughing and as Vic says hollowing,as thats all i have used them for so far,good fast service from Peter as well. :D

Hi Paul, I am still looking at producing a hollowing carbide tip to fit the Lyle Jamieson Rig Swivel Head so that you can get into those awkward places such as undercutting rims.

I have made a couple similar to the Hunter Carbide tip that fits the rig. Not 100% happy with it yet but I will get there eventually .

Will let you know when it's done and pop one in the post for you to try if you want.

Vic

paulm":2h2k69oq said:
They don't have to be expensive, there's one or more threads on here somewhere about buying the tips and making your own shafts.

They are very effective for fast stock removal.

Cheers, Paul

Does anyone know where to find the link on how to make the shafts for the carbide shafts or give me an idea what to search for as I dont seem to be getting any results?

I think the progression of this tool is like any other, we, d still be using the old pole lathe now if nothing progressed. Each to their own but I think the consesus has been they do a cracking job and hold an edge.

Vic Perrin":26kvbh6a said:
Paul.J":26kvbh6a said:

Hi Paul, I am still looking at producing a hollowing carbide tip to fit the Lyle Jamieson Rig Swivel Head so that you can get into those awkward places such as undercutting rims.

I have made a couple similar to the Hunter Carbide tip that fits the rig. Not 100% happy with it yet but I will get there eventually .

Will let you know when it's done and pop one in the post for you to try if you want.

Vic
No problem Vic,i haven't been doing much hollowing lately anyway as my timber supply is right down now so will be building it back up again soon i hope.

SimonT":2hkr4le7 said:
paulm":2hkr4le7 said:
They don't have to be expensive, there's one or more threads on here somewhere about buying the tips and making your own shafts.

They are very effective for fast stock removal.

Cheers, Paul

Does anyone know where to find the link on how to make the shafts for the carbide shafts or give me an idea what to search for as I dont seem to be getting any results?

I think the progression of this tool is like any other, we, d still be using the old pole lathe now if nothing progressed. Each to their own but I think the consesus has been they do a cracking job and hold an edge.
There's really nothing to it. Take a length of steel bar (square is easiest), cut to length, hacksaw or grind a recess on the end about 6mm deep and far enough back to clear the back edge of the carbide when the front edge overhangs by about 2mm. Drill and tap to suit your fixing screw. Give it a go.

paulm":2yqy930s said:
There's links further up this thread Simon.

Cheers, Paul

thanks paul,

Not quite sure how I skimned past, I blame the small screen on my phone. Will have a read later.

Back