Using a skew with one hand behind your back!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brag away.
To be honest I am impressed. After almost 20 years at turning the skew can still sometimes catch me out so two hands for me on that tool.
Regards
John

Amazing skill - but to what end?
To show how versatile the skew can be in the right hands maybe? (Or one hand!).

Steve Jones is the current generation of a family business BA Jones & Co founded 150 years ago who do a lot of work beyond the scope of many, if not most, professional woodturners, as well as gifts and trinkets. A lot of their work is for the trade - builders, architects etc. They can turn up to 2,350mm long x 450mm diameter, and outboard, up to 1.8M diameter.

To be able to do that at one end of the scale, at the other end, (a box finial at the link below, turned in 7 mins), takes consummate skill. Steve is a 'production turner', so time is money. Once he picks up a tool, he doesn't put it down till the job is done - he's the 'Grand Master' of the skew:

Respect!

The Woodturners craft shop

I think in football parlance this is called "Showboating". There are old turners and bold turners, but no old bold turners.

My friend has a lathe and has tried to get me interested but it doesnt sort of grab me, but I found mateys video really facinating,,I guess the type and grain structure of the wood are the important things,,plus of course the skill?
Steve.

I think I’ve heard Mike Waldt mention his name a few times. He’s obviously very skilled and confident, but I just don’t see the point in risking injury. I can ride my bike no handed but I choose not to for the same reason.

im impressed hes done for Christmas already tbh.

I can rough out & plane one handed with a skew & I'll sometimes do it to show a beginner that a relaxed stance, a light grip & light downward pressure are all that is needed.

Back