DW733 Users - Dust/Chip Control?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidE

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

After many hours off looking through the enthusiastic posts here and elsewhere I am pretty much decided on buying the DW733 thicknesser. I did intend to buy a big heavier machine, however, I can see advantages to the portable one. Also I don't have the workshop space at the moment for another big lump of cast iron.

One thing I haven't quite got my head round is the extraction provision. Does it have a dust extractor port? Also in some of the literature it talks about a dust hood. Is this extra or standard kit? Finally, how effective overall is the dust collection?

Thanks, David
(who didn't think he would be buying a thicknesser this quick and is getting very used to planing boards now!) :)

David
Mine came with the metal dust extractor hood. You just attach it with a coupl e of screws.
It certainly does work (as long as you have an extractor :wink: ) and works well. Way better than sweeping up tons of shavings.........
Cheers
Philly :D

Hi Philly,

Thanks for your reply - that's good news. fortunately, I have two extractors (though I tend to use one as a vacuum cleaner). I am 95% there for ordering it now - I'm still at the end of the dither phase. I've got quite a lot of wood to plane and although there is great satisfaction in handplaning I figure a bit of help is in order. I am fortunate the wood I'm using is pretty flat to start with. Reading the Forum users's P/T thread convinced me that a portable machine would be good enough. I was worried that I should really be buying a floor standing machine - but knew that I couldn't accommodate it at the moment.

Thanks, David

David
You won't be dissappointed with the DW, it leaves a fantastic finish and snipe is virtually non-existent. And pretty good value too. Can't really ask more from a machine can you?
Best regards
Philly :D

i have the 733 also and it suits me pretty well though there are some anoying features. Mainly once the included dust hood is on screwed on you cant then raise the outfeed table so if you want to move the machine you have two choices

leave the dust hood on and risk banging the outfeed table

or

remove the dust chute which is easier said than done its held on by 3 tiny screws and i have stripped the thread on one and lost another.... very unsatisfactory.

So the message is its a portable planer so long as you dont expect to use dust colection and boy is it loud.

tom

I have the 733 and installed the dust hood and left it on. It is a bit annoying as you can't raise the outfeed table but I manage to live with that.
I use a Camvac (single motor) on mine and I've had no problems with extraction. I did use to use a cheapy workshop vac before getting the Canvac and this was just about adequate.
Tombo's right though, it is very loud.

Thanks for all the replies. I ordered the machine from my friendly local supplier this afternoon :D I look forward to trying it out this weekend with a bit of luck. I have some ear defenders in the workshop - it sounds like I might need them. I'm glad to hear the dust extraction is pretty effective.
I'll watch the screws on the hood.
Thanks, David

Hi there,

Amazingly I got the call the machine was in today. I've just been using it - the finish is awesome, like glass. There is no snipe either. My dust extractor coped admirably with the shavings. I bought it as I'm recycling and re-sawing a load of wood. I realised hand planing was too much. When I compare the finish now it is a different league (admittedly I have limited hand planes!) I put the most curly grained piece of wood I had struggled hand planing through. It came out so flat and perfect. I was pleased and irked at the same time :D

Thanks for the advice
David

Latest posts

Back