dw733 thicknesser problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean_in_limerick

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
When passing boards (red oak) through my thicknesser they have started to get stuck on the way through, i have put a kitchen's worth of oak through this thicknesser in the past few months. The blades are recently sharpened and when the boards stalls the blades do not take nick's out of the board, there is just a white mark where (i presume), the feed-rollers are rolling on the same spot. I am nearly at the end of the kitchen and would be loathe to take the machine apart. Is there something i can do to the rollers to help this (i am assuming that the rollers are the problem, please correct me if you can). If anyone has seen this before any advice would be welcome.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean if this problem started after you sharpened the blades then they may be set too proud and are trying to take to deep a cut.

Otherwise you may find that lubricating the thicknesser bed with lubricating wax or the like will cure it.

Hope this helps

Keith

Have you checked that the feed rollers are fully down? Sometimes, the space below the bearings gets choked with chips/dust, and this stops the feed rollers being pushed down far enough to press firmly on the timber? At least, I've had that problem with my Lurem, but the construction of your's maybe different.

Hi Sean,

I had pretty much the same problem. I have been using a lot of pitch pine and the pitch gets on the rollers/table. I cleaned the tables with white spirit then waxed - I also wiped the rollers down with white spirit. It was a different machine after that!

I hope this helps
Cheers David

You need some lubrication on the infeed table. As well as keeping it waxed I always keep a can of PTFE spray handy - Trendicote from Trend is the best known but there are others available.

Bloody expensive but invaluable when you get a problem like this.

Cheers
Virgil

Agree with need to lubricate well, but I've often wondered whether PTFE or wax from this could cause problems with subsequent glueing? I've never noticed a problem, but it does seem as though it could happen.

Back