DW733 Planer Knives

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MG1977

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess this is a question for any DW733 owners... #-o

I have the Type 2 machine with the blades that can be re-sharpened and wondered if anyone has any experience of using generic cutters. I can get new knives for a fraction of the cost of the official spares (£60+P&P) but they don't have the two registration slots.

I'm assuming that there shouldn't be a problem removing the bolts that fit into these slots as they only serve to make adjustment that much easier. :-k

So has anyone done this?

Or if this isn't possible does anyone know when I can get cheaper replacement blades? It'd be good to have a spare set for when I can't get a super fast sharpening turn around.

Many thanks

ebay has some cheaper blades that appear to have the slot in- you would need to check that they suit your model- I only had a quick glance.

I would imagine that by removing the blots, you would make changing the blades go from a 5 minute job to a fiddly time consuming one, although if they are resharpenable blades maybe i am wrong.

These are what the blades look like on my machine....why do manufacturers make different types of the same machine...does make for some confussion!!

dw733type2 blades.jpg

Attachments

• dw733type2 blades.jpg
    dw733type2 blades.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 70
Cheers Marcros, The blades I need are 320 long, so those ones don't fit unfortunately.

I can get unslotted HSS ones for around £10/pair...cutting slots might be an option I guess, but I wouldn't really know how to go about doing that...any tips Wizard?

I have the type 1 and get all my blades from Woodford http://***********************

They're significantly cheaper than the DeWalt version, last ages on hardwoods and leave a great finish.

Back