Dust protection?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAC

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to get concerned about the level of dust that fills the air in my workshop when I'm sanding. So far I've used disposable dust masks and I'm not sure that these are doing a good enough job. The amount of turning I do is very small, as my employer keeps me very busy, but I am still worried about the amount of dust I could be inhaling.

In terms of protection, I could do with some advice. I have a spare Dyson vacuum cleaner that could be turned into a workshop dust extractor. Is this a good idea or not? I'm also thinking about buying a better quality respirator. Is it advisable to go all the way and but a Trend Airshield Pro or will something like a Vitrex Twin Air Filter Respirator be sufficient?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences...

I have the Vitrex and I'm very pleased with it. I've been considering an upgrade to a "proper" air fed system, but some people find the weight very uncomfortable and the buzzy irritating, so I'm sticking with the vitrex for now as it's under 30 quid and I can wear it for long periods quite happily.

I've also got a Jet air cleaner because at the time I could get the respirator and the cleaner for the same sort of money as an AirShield. This arrangement means that the dust does get removed from the air eventually, so I don't need to walk around with the respirator glued to my face all the time. Contrast that with the air shield - the dust will linger for ages and get kicked up every time you move around, so anyone who comes into your workshop will also be breathing contaminated air.

It's actually scary how dirty the filters on the air cleaner get after a short sanding session at the lathe, so I highly recommend them!

DeepBlue":b4hivk2g said:
I have the Vitrex and I'm very pleased with it.

Thanks for that DeepBlue. Coincidently, about an hour before I read your post I ordered the Vitrex from Amazon (much cheaper than Axminster). Seems the best way to go at the moment as I don't spend much time in the shop so can't really justify the cost of the pro head gear. Your comments have reassured me that I've made the right decision.

Latest posts

Back