Dust masks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At work we use a variety of masks (RPE) we are a big company and our annual spend is well over a million just on these item. So I get to see a lot and also a wide range.
I oversee face fit training and testing: the common thing is masks are wrongly fitted by the user for the simple reason people don't read the instructions.

MattRoberts":3ffl9vyi said:
FYI - I had the 3M before I got the trend. I found the 3M a compete pain in the ass - it's awkward to get on and remove. I doesn't hang well when you temporarily remove it, it got in the way of my safety glasses a lot and it steamed them up.

The trend was much better on all accounts (though still not great at the temporary removal).

As I mentioned before - I'm trying the RZ mask out and finding it great - lightweight and easy to put on and remove.

RZ Mask with 2 HEPA Filters, Black Mesh, Large (Regular) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QS07CY8/ ... 3xb3EB0T25

Just my experience though!

Matt,

You might notice the advert for that omitts to mention any workplace environment. That's because it's a criminal offence to sell RPE that does not conform to standards. I wouldn't touch those with a barge pole

lurker":1a0palxd said:
MattRoberts":1a0palxd said:
FYI - I had the 3M before I got the trend. I found the 3M a compete pain in the ass - it's awkward to get on and remove. I doesn't hang well when you temporarily remove it, it got in the way of my safety glasses a lot and it steamed them up.

The trend was much better on all accounts (though still not great at the temporary removal).

As I mentioned before - I'm trying the RZ mask out and finding it great - lightweight and easy to put on and remove.

RZ Mask with 2 HEPA Filters, Black Mesh, Large (Regular) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QS07CY8/ ... 3xb3EB0T25

Matt,

You might notice the advert for that omitts to mention any workplace environment. That's because it's a criminal offence to sell RPE that does not conform to standards. I wouldn't touch those with a barge pole
Well they've got some pretty fancy pants test results on the filters... In guessing they would be posting these if they weren't pretty sure they're robust. https://rzmask.com/pages/filter-test-results

MattRoberts":hcn4c429 said:
lurker":hcn4c429 said:
MattRoberts":hcn4c429 said:

Matt,

Well they've got some pretty fancy pants test results on the filters... In guessing they would be posting these if they weren't pretty sure they're robust. https://rzmask.com/pages/filter-test-results

That assumes the air entering your lungs has passed through the filter and not leaked around it.

That's the problem with any testing, its done in a controlled environment and not in real use, not even on a face, but put in a chamber and sealed around the edges, it is so easy to put on a mask incorrectly, but not so on a full face helmet.

Mike

lurker":7i3bw8n1 said:
That assumes the air entering your lungs has passed through the filter and not leaked around it.

Indeed - but that can be said of any dust mask. I find the fit to be good, personally :)

lurker":21xxik4c said:
At work we use a variety of masks (RPE) we are a big company and our annual spend is well over a million just on these item. So I get to see a lot and also a wide range.
I oversee face fit training and testing: the common thing is masks are wrongly fitted by the user for the simple reason people don't read the instructions.
Is there a budget friendly solution with exchangeable filters you'd recommend Jim?

memzey":69zrwp1l said:
lurker":69zrwp1l said:
Is there a budget friendly solution with exchangeable filters you'd recommend Jim?

Let's put it this way...... I "could" help myself to anything I liked foc. But I chose to shell out near 200 quid on an trend air shield. Positive pressure is more silly person proof and perfectly good for dusts . And I value my lungs.

Beau":158e5a28 said:
As mentioned in this thread it's all down to the fit. For me it's these http://www.protectivemasksdirect.co.uk/ ... oCRUfw_wcB Great masks and with downward firing vent on the front they don't mist up glasses and visors.

At work, were we have to bin every scrap of clothing we are wearing due to contamination that's what we generally use for dusts.
They are good due to the rigidity compared to other disposables. And they have quite good seals too

That's not a bad price either.

lurker":2pdc2eji said:
Beau":2pdc2eji said:
As mentioned in this thread it's all down to the fit. For me it's these http://www.protectivemasksdirect.co.uk/ ... oCRUfw_wcB Great masks and with downward firing vent on the front they don't mist up glasses and visors.

That's not a bad price either.

Yes I only did a quick google to show the mask but was also taken with the price having been paying considerably more in the local farm supplies.

I will have to stick with my suggestion.. the 3m 4251 masks! Yes you can't change filters for them, but I smear the mask with paint/dirt other stuff so it gets nasty anyway and I can just throw it after after using it for a couple of months. it's a great fit, provides great protection, Unlike the Big-ass Trend air shields you are Mobile in these masks... I would never get the Trend masks just because they are soooo huge, what can you possibly even do when you got a space-suit on?

costs just £10-£15 on ebay , here's one for £13
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-4255-Organ ... SwwbdWK8DL
can't beat that... I value my health and would not trust those stupid paper single-use ones, they are just terrible fit and they leak the stuff, yes most gets filtrated but some stuff still get past.

Be aware before ordering the above that it only comes with tags and not straps, so unless you already have some you will have to hold it on your face, mobile or not.

Sweeping statement about the Trend airshield from someone who has never used one, or perhaps if you have you also had it on back to front. :wink:

Mike

Thanks for the pros and cons of various protection - thinking back the paper ones never seat properly the number of times the nose padding foam is coloured brown due to the poor leaky fit. Think I will opt for the trend half mask first see how I like it. Prices seem to be all over the place £30 to £62 for the same thing.

MikeJhn":321flmyg said:
Be aware before ordering the above that it only comes with tags and not straps, so unless you already have some you will have to hold it on your face, mobile or not.

Sweeping statement about the Trend airshield from someone who has never used one, or perhaps if you have you also had it on back to front. :wink:

Mike
they come in vacuum sealed plastic bags that come with everything #-o
internet toughguy I sense? I have not used it but would love to try it out,however for my usage I would probably destroy/scratch it in to time, £200 a piece, I'm not ready to use it as disposable mask + you got a HUUGE spacehelmet on your head.

Not an internet tough guy, just someone that has used the Trend helmet and knows how good they are, not guess work.

Mike

Back