Dust masks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred55

Established Member
Reaction score
I have use the paper disposal type masks for ages but reading someones comments about how ineffective they are got me thinking; yes dangerous. So not wanting to go for the full face ventilated helmet - can anyone recommend a wood dust mask that they feel are effective and replacement filters are easy available.

I have the trend air ace, which provides great protection - the only issue is that it's so bulky.

So I've been trying an RZ mask, and I'm actually quite impressed with it. It's easy to put on and off, and provides a good seal. I'd recommend either

There are three different types of paper dust masks. Look on the packages or masks them selves.
FFP1 is the LEAST efficient, hardly worth the effort on anything smaller than a pebble.
FFP2 is better, keeps out most fine dust.
FFP3 is the best available dust mask, holding back something like 99.99%.

But there is a BUT.....

If you dont take the time to bend the nose tab properly and make sure the mask fits securely, then they are all as useless as each other.

Paper masks are no good at all if you value your health. I have the Trend Air Ace mask https://www.toolbritannia.co.uk/routing ... GwodrFEOlw and it is very comfortable for long periods, all be it that it can occasionally condence the air and neeeds shaking out, but the filters ate superb and last a long time before changing. Feels a bit like Darth Vader when you start, but does not mist up eye glasses as it grips the nose well, which paper masks do. I think you would be very happy with it.

Malcolm

Malcolm, we've had this discussion before.
That air ace might be comfortable, and its certainly stylish, but its filters are only to FFP2 spec.
a "PROPERLY"! fitted FFP3 dust mask will out perform a "PROPERLY"! fitted FFP2 air ace.

Its all about making the thing fit your face with no air gaps around the edges.

And if you have a beard, none of the face masks will make a jot of difference, they will just not seal sufficiently.

Mike

MikeJhn":lqup5ti0 said:
And if you have a beard, none of the face masks will make a jot of difference, they will just not seal sufficiently.

Mike
mostly true. A regular full beard closely and evenly cut could be an extra seal, but if its wild or only half,or a mustache that exceeds the mask, then yes, the seal is incomplete and you needn't bother at all, because its the very finest dust thats the killer, not the big stuff you can see.

Not mostly true, but very true, I do have a evenly cut beard and not one of any type of face mask I have tried will seal sufficient to keep out fine dust, especially when machining MDF, I use the full Darth Vada Trend helmet, it not only seals correctly, it also does not fog up and has a refreshing air flow over the face during use, this is essential at my workshop where the outside temperature can get over 40deg C.

Mike

glad you have found a solution.

also glad I'm not the only one who has to cope with 40 degrees (g). When it gets to 40 and 75% humidity, then I just quit and drink beer while laying in the pool.

Has France got an extra long summer this year? cyprus had an early start in may and now we're into a late finish, still 35 today, quite a bit above the norm.

Thanks for the replies - looks like two answers 1, the Darth Vada look ! or 2, grow a beard go to a hotter climate and drink beer. I would opt for the 2nd but her-indoors likes the look of the Darth Vada mask probably so she can see less of me. Thanks for your comments and help I will try the Trend air ace first.

I use 3m 7500 with 2135 filters for sanding of any dusty job, and a Axi power cap for turning for face protection as well.

Phil

I would avoid the paper cheapo masks, what's the point from them? They rarely fit, you get hot&sweaty in them, they do not provide much protection at all, they brake all the time etc..
I'm using the 3m half-face masks, one easily lasts me 3-4months or could probably last for more. provides great protection and costs just over £10 from ebay.

ae235

best investment you can get for your health..

those trend space-suit masks, although they look WOW , they seem rather unpractical.

did not saw that you have a beard, yup, that's a slight problem with them..

Interesting, it seems that using the 4279 filters in the 3M half face mask takes it to P3 protection, which is as good as it gets for us woodworkers.

Mike

FYI - I had the 3M before I got the trend. I found the 3M a compete pain in the ass - it's awkward to get on and remove. I doesn't hang well when you temporarily remove it, it got in the way of my safety glasses a lot and it steamed them up.

The trend was much better on all accounts (though still not great at the temporary removal).

As I mentioned before - I'm trying the RZ mask out and finding it great - lightweight and easy to put on and remove.

RZ Mask with 2 HEPA Filters, Black Mesh, Large (Regular) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QS07CY8/ ... 3xb3EB0T25

Just my experience though!

All good information, hadn't thought about the safety goggle aspect when wearing a separate mask, and taking it off to hang around the neck for a few mins, all plus points for the Airshield Pro IMO.

Mike

The Air shield pro is like trying to balance a pizzed tortoise on your head, I just could not get on with it.

If you where trying to balance it on your head, then it was not adjusted correctly, I find the fit is good and it does not wobble about, perhaps I have a different shape head, Ahh just thought no hair obviously helps. 8)

Yes for those following this thread, I have a beard and no hair. :wink:

Mike

sunnybob":3hicw9si said:
Malcolm, we've had this discussion before.
That air ace might be comfortable, and its certainly stylish, but its filters are only to FFP2 spec.
a "PROPERLY"! fitted FFP3 dust mask will out perform a "PROPERLY"! fitted FFP2 air ace.

Its all about making the thing fit your face with no air gaps around the edges.

Although I have not used it, Trend do have an Ace/7 filter that is P3 filtration, so it seems that a P3 is possible with the Airace if you pay more for the extra.

Has anyone tried these P3 filters?

Malcolm

Back