Dust masks revisited.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark Hancock":2gmv6x9f said:
Looking good Chas :)
Hmmm, I've had someone else mention that I looked better with it on. :lol:

Thanks for your time Mark, which helped considerably in the 'justification' stakes.
Still getting the odd comment from you know who to the effect that she will need to take two books with her next time I drop in for a few minutes.

Hope I didn't take too much productive time out of your day, at least we put some of the world to rights.

I take it that you are happy with it then Chas.
Anything that you don't like about it :?:
Is it noisy inside compared to the Trends :?:
Does it fit nicely on the head :?:

Paul.J":1cipqjau said:
I take it that you are happy with it then Chas.
Anything that you don't like about it :?:

Is the colour optional or fixed, can you add a scented air freshner, has it got inbuilt head phones. :lol:

Be fair it does look a bit space age Chas though I have heard Mark Hrecommending them before.

Pete

Paul.J":86azrzmu said:
I take it that you are happy with it then Chas. Anything that you don't like about it :?:
Quite happy Paul, nothing to date.

Much quieter, can't hear the air movement with expelair extractor running.

Yes, a bit of trial and error with selecting top and brow band adjustment for 'best fit' but as it's so light, fine adjustment needs a couple of hours of use to establish any fine tuning needs on brow band tightness.

CHJ":2fcbv20d said:
Mark Hancock":2fcbv20d said:
Looking good Chas :)
Hmmm, I've had someone else mention that I looked better with it on. :lol:

Thanks for your time Mark, which helped considerably in the 'justification' stakes.
Still getting the odd comment from you know who to the effect that she will need to take two books with her next time I drop in for a few minutes.

Hope I didn't take too much productive time out of your day, at least we put some of the world to rights.

Well I did offer you know who the armchair :)

Glad to help

Bodrighy":3jvko6tf said:
Is the colour optional or fixed, can you add a scented air freshner, has it got inbuilt head phones. :lol:

Be fair it does look a bit space age Chas though I have heard Mark Hrecommending them before.

Pete

It's not recommended if a curry has been consumed the night before :lol:

wow snot cheap is it? :shock:

3M HT-401 Headtop with Acetate Visor
£71.00 (ex VAT)

3M Ready to use Dustmaster Kit
£219.23 (ex VAT)

Dustmaster Spare Filters
£15.09 (ex VAT) - £28.18 (ex VAT) EACH

and that's without the VAT.

Be interested to hear how the battery and filters last for.

wizer":4naa0ak4 said:
wow snot cheap is it? :shock:

No it isn't Tom, not something to invest in lightly.

But with my allergy problems and the knowledge that the current Workplace Exposure Limit for Wood Dust is only 5mg/m3 it starts to justify itself. I spend a long time exposed some days.

Wish I had some means of measuring the dust concentration to help folks check shop conditions, but my interpretation is that if you can see dust settling or covering your extractor filters after a days activities you are most likely above that sort of level.

Chas you are about right there.

I used to "do" dust workplace exposure testing and to be quite honest no fancy kit beat simply cleaning a horizontal surface at about nose level and than looking the next day for dust.

I used to have a 1ft square sheet of shiny Stainless steel cleaned with meths that I left for a working day and then go back and draw a line with my finger.

Don't as someone suggested use the air from a compressor - its full of oil & will pipper up your lungs faster than wood dust.

RogerB":3e7q36sd said:
Hi

This is what I use as I had it from when I was doing some two pack paint spraying all you need is a compressor to hook it up to, it is light and the carbon filter cleans the air have a look at the links.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... espirators

The only draw back is that you are attached to the air line but I do not find it a problem

Need to have the compressor out of the workshop

Hope this is of help to someone.

Roger

No don't do this!!!!
The oil mist is bluddy dangerous

DEFINATELY NOT !!

Breathing Quality Air is a science all of its own.

Chas knows I'm sure.. but for the benefit of anyone who doesn't.. Heed Lurkers shout, cause it's reaaly reaaly dangerous to breathe standard compressor air.

I do 'breathing air' apparatus sometimes.. and its all got to be specially degreased and god knows all what... Never, ever breathe standard compressor air.

lurker":1v2z68cf said:
RogerB":1v2z68cf said:
Hi

This is what I use as I had it from when I was doing some two pack paint spraying all you need is a compressor to hook it up to, it is light and the carbon filter cleans the air have a look at the links.

The only draw back is that you are attached to the air line but I do not find it a problem

Need to have the compressor out of the workshop

Hope this is of help to someone.

Roger

No don't do this!!!!
The oil mist is bluddy dangerous

Lurker

I agree with what you are saying but I use a carbon coalescing filter in the regulator which I was told was sufficient am I wrong if so I will stop using the mask.

Roger

Carbon takes out oil mist. You need a column of molecular sieve, about 3 times the C volumn, to reduce the CO, CO2, and water levels to acceptable. Renewable time on filters depends on volume of filter, volume of gas passing through and time (unless your filter system is really, really sealed at both ends and at every joint inbetween). Filters can be anywhere post compressor and pre mask, so your belt weight need not be affected,

Back