Dust Filter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm debating whether to buy a dust filter (e.g. Microclene, Record Power AC400, or similar) but suffering from a lack of understanding of the benefits...

Are they really a good thing? The filter performance (Record AC400 "down to 1 micron") suggests they simply allow the really harmful dust (sub 0.5 micron) to pass through the filter and, worst still, be propelled around the workshop.

Are they supposed to be a health benefit or workshop cosmetic benefit (i.e. reduce visible dust settling on things)?

I considered one of these myself until I looked at the specification, I would have needed four of them to filter my workshop, better to open the doors and have a draft though the shop, it was a real consideration though as I do spray in my shop, but I just made up a spray booth instead.

Mike

Forgot to mention I use a Trend Airshield Pro most of the time.

I have a moderately large one on the wall of a single car garage (used microclene version). Turn it on if i'm doing something like sawing mdf, sanding on the lathe, etc in addition to the local extraction where I have it. I can see the air clear in a matter of minutes. Size wise, i probably do get 10 air changes / hour from it. I forget. Noisy but helpful. Not as good as a through draught nor a substitute for a p3 facemask when that's called for, but helpful if I need to work with the doors closed.

I have a micro clean, but....
I only use it in the cold weather when I wish to retain the heat.
Rest of the year is a largish kitchen extractor fan (off a skip) that just blows the dust outside.

0.5 micron is hard to filter down to no matter the application so not much surprise. There's nothing to stop you adding to/replacing the supplied filter - air flow will reduce of course. There's nothing at all to stop you making your own either; its only a fan in a box with a filter in front of it.

If you want to upgrade the filter look at the websites for camfil and donaldson to kick you off.

Personally its an open door policy in my shop + mask when I'm sanding something especially nasty. All my tools are used with a good vacuum set up and I have very little settled dust come the morning.

I tend to work with the door open too. Until I renovated my garage/workshop I was also venting my vacuum to outside via a 4" pipe.

Currently I'm trying to determine the best combination of dust management. All tools are mobile so I'd prefer NOT to vent the vacuum outside again because it limits movement and/or entails having a massive hose trailing around the shop. I still have the 4" hole in the wall so I think a powerful extractor may be the best approach. Maybe an inline extractor so I have the option of connecting a hose to extract soldering fumes and similar too, directly from the workspace? Perhaps also attach the vacuum on those occasions when it is convenient to do so (although I'm not sure the effect of forcibly extracting the vacuum outlet?!)

My HVLP extractor only has the cloth bag filter. When I installed the AC400, I was surprised just how much fine dust it collected in 17' x 14' garage workshop. Worth the money as far as I'm concerned.

+1 for the last post. Nothing "scientific" but A) the amount of dust in the filter, and B) less dust hanging around, both show something "good" is happening.

I'm pleased with my Record AC 400. it's mounted on the ceiling, as near as I can get it, directly in the path of my little disc/belt sander. It's quiet, and has a timer so that I can leave it running for an hour after I pack up for the night.

I should add that on every tool (inc the above disc/belt sander, and all my hand-helds) I've modified them all so that I can make a direct connection to my shop vac (in my case it's a Kaercher).

I should also add that my own experience is that having just something like the AC 400 on it's own is pretty useless - you do need as much extraction actually at the tool as you can organize. Also, even when cold, if I'm sanding something really nasty then I try to have the door open.

As I say, NO scientific results to show at all, but I do see an improvement, and I guess something is better than nothing at all. Just my opinion.

GrahamF":k59usl7e said:
My HVLP extractor only has the cloth bag filter. When I installed the AC400, I was surprised just how much fine dust it collected in 17' x 14' garage workshop. Worth the money as far as I'm concerned.

I recently changed the waste bag on my HVLP which has a pleated paper filter, I was amazed how much fine dust fell into the new bag when I turned the internal flicker, I know I should have done it before I changed the waste bag, but I did it to see how much fell out, well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it, incidentally it was a good 150mm deep in the bottom of the bag, amazing.

Mike

MikeJhn":117dnpyg said:
I recently changed the waste bag on my HVLP which has a pleated paper filter, I was amazed how much fine dust fell into the new bag when I turned the internal flicker, I know I should have done it before I changed the waste bag, but I did it to see how much fell out, well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it, incidentally it was a good 150mm deep in the bottom of the bag, amazing.

Mike

As a matter of interest, is there a reduction in air flow/suction with the pleated paper cartridge filters (when reasonably clean of course :) ) compared to the standard cloth bags filters? I keep wondering whether to splash out on one.

I did not notice any reduction in airflow, obviously they was some, but it was not noticeable, what I did notice was a reduction in the amount of debris in the air.

Mike

MikeJhn":1rm0fp38 said:
I did not notice any reduction in airflow, obviously they was some, but it was not noticeable, what I did notice was a reduction in the amount of debris in the air.

Mike

OK thanks, may buy one. Need to look at ducting as well, fed up of dragging 4" hose around.

Back