Dust extractor design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arutha

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on replacing my dust extractor as it's too small for efficient dust extraction (0.7 kW, 100 mm hose).

I've been reading about cyclones and dust extractor. I've read through a lot on Bill Pentz site about dust extraction.

I have realized that my current system is quite good in one way. I.e. that I don't recirculate the air. My dust extractor is in a small room with a vent to outside. So the small particles that go through the filter are not something I need to worry about.

I plan to set up my new system in a similar way. The ducting will be 150 or 160 mm. Either the same dimension all the way to the machines, or a split to two 100 mm hoses. For example, my bandsaw will get two 100 mm extraction points.

The ducting will go to the same room as now, where the dust extractor is located. I'll replace the vent with a 150 mm vent instead, so that dusty air is blown outside.

This also means that the filter is not important. If I choose to go with a cyclone, I will skip the filter altogether. If I go with an ordinary dust extractor, I'll choose the cheapest filter bag.

According to Bill Pentz, I would need a 3 hp (2.2 kW) dust collector, or a 5 hp (3.7 kW) cyclone with a 15" blower fan (38 cm).

It would need to extract at least 1700 m3/h, with an air speed of 20.3 m/s. The pressure would need to be about 2000 Pa (for my small to medium sized shop).

I've been searching for a good dust extractor, but I find that many are too small. According to Bill Pentz, many are also tested unloaded, so that the figure given by the tool makers is often not the same as you would get under real use. So, as I can't trust the ratings, I need to over-shoot a bit.

I've found the following Felder dust extractor that promises 3000 m3/h:
http://uk.feldershop.com/en/Extraction/ ... actor.html

Any other, good dust extractors, that you could recommend?

sploo":2qd8xyuz said:
I built my system (http://spikyfish.com/DustExtraction/) using a Fox F50-843 for the motor and impeller. No cyclone, but it seems to work well.

Wow, that's some good looking ducting! I hadn't even thought of this possibility.

Also, interesting to see how you used just the blower. You should get even more suction than it was rated for, as by removing the filter bags, you've removed some of the resistance in the system.

Arutha":2bzvwbzm said:
sploo":2bzvwbzm said:
I built my system (http://spikyfish.com/DustExtraction/) using a Fox F50-843 for the motor and impeller. No cyclone, but it seems to work well.

Wow, that's some good looking ducting! I hadn't even thought of this possibility.

Also, interesting to see how you used just the blower. You should get even more suction than it was rated for, as by removing the filter bags, you've removed some of the resistance in the system.
Thanks, though the length of ducting will add some static pressure. Works well enough though.

I had to build it as 6" round ducting would have been too low (the ceiling height is very poor in that garage).

Latest posts

Back