Dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neville Lawler

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have never been happy with the dust extraction system that I installed, which consisted of a mobile chip collector and a ceiling mounted air filtration unit. The latter has worked extremely well but the chip collector is another story.
The chip collector finally died this last week and I am thinking of fitting a wall mounted extractor. I have been looking at both the Record and the Camvac machines. Has anyone had experience of either of these machines? Record offer a twin motor machine, but is this necessary if only one machine, mainly the P/T is connected?
I am also considering fitting an extraction system from all the machines, using 60/65 mm rigid piping, only using one machine at a time. The longest run would be approximately 5 metres from a mitre saw, would a one motor extractor cope?
I would appreciate any advice on the questions posed or on extraction systems in general. My last attempt was a waste of money and I do not want to make the same mistake.
Neville

Neville Lawler":19fe38py said:
Hi
Record offer a twin motor machine, but is this necessary if only one machine, mainly the P/T is connected?

Neville
Neville,
It depends on the extraction rating on the p/t you have as to wether you need the extra motor. On the CamVac the extra motor doubles the air volume rate. and I believe it's the same on the Record twin motor models.
But to extract chippings from a p/t you really need a minimum 4" ducting from the extractor all the way to the p/t hood. it's also worth checking the static pressure rating (measured as pa)for the p/t and see if the extractor your planning to buy can cope. A lot of people seem to forget or ignore this important rating.

Have a look on the Bill Penz web site very informative and factual information on dust extraction. HERE

Incidentially if your looking for suitable piping material one of the cheapest & easiest to use is Spirolux and it fits like a glove on the plastic gates etc.
If you do a search for Spirolux on the forum you'll find plenty of info.

Also try to avoid using sharp 90% bends and T's, the soft 90% bends & Y's are much better at keeping a smooth airflow which helps to keep the air speed up.

Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back