Dust Extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have an imminent need for some form of dust extraction for my workshop, which is a <ahem> 7ft x 7ft shed (don't laugh). Given hereditary family weakness in the lung department I don't want to take any chances in the evil fine-dust department. Space is obviously limited in there as is budget, but I have a cunning plan!

That is, there is enough room behind the shed to fit a lean-to shelter that in turn could house some form of dust extraction. I could then feed the [extended] hose (and power cable) through the wall of the shed and suspend it from the ceiling in such a way that it can be dropped down where it is needed.

The question is - what kind of dust extraction can I do cheaply? From what I have read cheaper extractors let the smaller, and more dangerous, particules through their filters but that's should be fine with the unit being housed outside the shed.. so I have been thinking of three options:

1) The DIY cyclone type device using a domestic hoover (like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA8f0okOwlM and many others). Argos do a cheap bagless hoover for about £30 and I imagine another tenner or so should get the various bits of plastic/tubing I would need, so maybe £40 in total.

2) Buy one of these from my local Toolstation: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p28641 (which does have a series of adapters which could be useful). £88

3) Get something like this off eBay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0966397045. £45-85

Option 1 is the cheapest but more hassle having to go out and find the relevant bits of plastic then build it. Since I never seem to be able to find second hand woodworking tools in Oxfordshire (everything always seems to be the London area like that one, Gloucestershire or sub-M4 Wiltshire!) option 3 means driving all the way out to somewhere and the added time and petrol cost, so am tempted by option 2 even though I don't really want to be spending that kind of money at the moment.

What is the main difference between the hoover style dust collector like option 2 and the big bagged things like option 3, or is it mainly just a size thing?

What I will also probably do, in a month or two's time, is get a HEPA air purifier (like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170932042153) which will go in the shed itself and run on a timer so it kicks for a couple of hours every night.

What are people experiences here of dust extraciton on a budget?

Thanks
Bigus

There is a small SIP extractor in the 'For Sale' section which may suit you.
Regards,
John

Just bear in mind that if the exhaust is outside the workshop, the machine will extract all the heat as well as the dust.

Pete

Bale":19riavkh said:
Just bear in mind that if the exhaust is outside the workshop, the machine will extract all the heat as well as the dust.

Well at least the answer to freezing ones appendages off is as simple as going indoors for a bit :)

A cheap answer for somewhere small could just be as easy as fitting a bathroom extractor into the wall.

Wire it to the lights and you can set it to come on automatically and turn itself off with a delay.

Use an inline switch so you don't have it on when not needed.

Mick

MickCheese":1zabohey said:
A cheap answer for somewhere small could just be as easy as fitting a bathroom extractor into the wall.

Wire it to the lights and you can set it to come on automatically and turn itself off with a delay.

Use an inline switch so you don't have it on when not needed.

Mick

I still need an extractor that can be hooked up my bandsaw and sanders though, otherwise the whole of the inside of the shed will get covered in dust

I use a small cylinder vacuum cleaner for my exraction. Currently it's a 1200W one which is only just powerful enough, I am using a hose which is perhaps a tad too long as the hose is from my other 1400W vacuum which was far better (but that is serving as our indoor cleaning vac at present). I know they don't filter out fine particulates so I often put the whole machine outside when it's not raining. The small vac actually has an outlet hose which I put out the door to exhaust the warmed air and debris that hasn't been captured by the filter. Both are bagless in that they have a nylon mesh covering the paper filter and the large particles fall into the plastic bucket.

Most of my work is stationary routing by the way.

For the fine dust particles I find th Hoover style extractors the best. Even an old Dyson will do. But they are all noises and in a small shed that will be irritating so getting it outside is best.

Whatever extraction I use on my small bandsaw is not very effective but I do think it deals with the finer stuff.

Mick

I was using a small vacuum cleaner to extract dust from my DeWalt bandsaw. I opened the cleaner the other day and the filter was blocked solid (so at least I know it was doing it's job). When I opened the bandsaw the amount of dust was just incredible, so I would certainly recommend some sort of extraction, even if it is just a vacuum cleaner. I'm now thinking of making a 2 or 3 cleaner-powered extractor which extracts to the outside air, via a cyclone-type box. No details as yet, just the bare idea, and a few spare vacs for cannibalising. That is, unless I see a cheap enough ready made extractor, either dust or chip, since there will be no filter bag involved - just an outside vent.

Whatever you decide - go for something.

K

OK thanks.. I think the hoover style one is the best candidate then. I had another look at the gap behind my shed and I think it would actually be rather tight fitting one of those big bagged devices out there whereas one like the Toolstation device will be fine and a smaller shelter too.

Good point about the noise too, another advantage of housing outside.

As I understand it, woodworking dust/chip extraction is likely to knacker a household vacuum cleaner, hence the DIY cyclone contraptions.. does the Dyson cyclone get round whatever it is that can knacker a regular hoover? Anyone know?

Change of plans.
I've just bought an extractor fan from fleabay. It's an Elite 300, with an extraction rate of 60 - 70 cu m per min, and a blade size of 12". It cost me £40 (maiden bid) plus £12 postage so I was very pleased. These sell for about £170 which is out of my league. I'm intending to fit it into a suitable hole in a piece of ply which will replace a window pane, the other end will be ducted to my lathes. It will suck all the warm air out of my workshop, but if it sucks the dust as well then I will be quite happy. I don't have any form of heating anyway, and I can always restrict my activities to days when the temperature is suitable.

All I need now is some ducting - fleabay again?

K

graduate_owner":3532kgu7 said:
I'm intending to fit it into a suitable hole in a piece of ply which will replace a window pane, the other end will be ducted to my lathes. It will suck all the warm air out of my workshop, but if it sucks the dust as well then I will be quite happy.

Isn't that just going to spew loads of dust outside or are you going to attach something to collect it?

Yep, the dust can bu@@er off outside. The thing is, if I catch the dust in a bag and then empty it outside, it still goes outside, so I don't see the difference. I am thinking of using an intermediate drum though, to collect the heavier dust, and just let the fine stuff spew outside. That will come later. My workshop is about 2m from my hedge, then there's a 2m hedge bank, then a field of about 5 acres. My next door neighbours in that direction are a couple of fields away again so they won't be affected.

K

Camvac's are good. I have a twin-motor one attached to my FDG (fine dust generators). A more chunky chip-collector is used for the planer/thicknesser and spindle moulder.

Re the OP.....how about a Trend Airshield ? Or something like the Jet recirculating filter?

I've just been reading an article on dust extraction which has really made me take notice. I'm going to start a new thread on it so more people will find it. Here's the link

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

and this guy seems to know what he's talking about. He also does a fair job of rubbishing a number of methods of dust extraction.

Anyhow, I'm going to read this again, in detail, and get my workshop really sorted out before I do much more in there.

K

So maybe go for the garage doors open, filter mask and then hoover up the dust afterwards!

My workshop is a bit more awkward than that. It's part of a larger shed and about 40 feet from the garage doors, so the open air is too far away. I can get a through draught, but that would be too draughty in cold weather. Losing any heat to the outside via the dust extractor fans may be something I could live with, but howling winter gales - that's too much. Perhaps woodworking will be abandoned during the winter.

K

Back