Dust Extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paullap

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi , I have am building a router table, I would like a good dust collection unit to connect to it , A smallish one that I could just connect up when I use it, I could then use it for other tools. I have a collection point on the fence and the router surround box, I like the look of the Festool but they are not cheap, any recommendations please.

Paul

I've used a couple of Numatic Henry's dedicated to a particular tool, they work great and can be had second hand for not a lot of money. Using a dust cyclone too is a real benefit to save on changing bags and cleaning filters.

RE router table extraction, I also tried two points of dust collection above and below the table however I changed the setup to just collect from the fence port after I tested out of curiosity how much was making it inside the cabinet (a lot less).

I've used a couple of Numatic Henry's dedicated to a particular tool, they work great and can be had second hand for not a lot of money. Using a dust cyclone too is a real benefit to save on changing bags and cleaning filters.

RE router table extraction, I also tried two points of dust collection above and below the table however I changed the setup to just collect from the fence port after I tested out of curiosity how much was making it inside the cabinet (a lot less).
Hi Thanks for that, I have a Henry, Not sure how i would use a cyclone, Can you be so kind as to send me a picture please, I think this will be very useful. Where are you in Hampshire,?.

Paul

The cyclone and collection bin go between the HPLV vacuum and the tool to intercept the bulk of chips and dust. This allows you to use a vacuum with a smaller internal bag and still (hopefully) collect most of the bad stuff.

I used a cyclone similar to this in my garage shop with great success. However, it was a challenge finding suitable hoses and connectors between the machines, cyclone, and Kärcher shop vacuum.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BZT-Cyclone-separator-extraction-preseparator/dp/B07K8PGW4T

Hi Thanks for that, I have a Henry, Not sure how i would use a cyclone, Can you be so kind as to send me a picture please, I think this will be very useful. Where are you in Hampshire,?.

Paul
The below isn't mine but it's pretty close to what I had before I became workshop-less a few years ago:

1681578701658.png

I have found with my router table that I don't need both above and below extraction at the same time.

If I'm cutting a dado or something where dust is coming out underneath I connect the extraction to the lower port, if i'm doing a roundover or flush trimming etc I connect to the above port.

For the router table I use a similar system to whats described above, I have a HPLV extractor (like this) attached via a cyclone. Works pretty well.

Does cutting with a router actually produce a lot of dust? Chippings...certainly. I played around with cyclones in my early days but TBH outgrew them. Horses for courses, really. In the end, I divided my kit up into 'dust generators' eg drum sander, table saw and 'chip generator' eg P/T. Then had a different system for each.

Back