dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

als427

Reaction score
hi all

i have a medium size workshop. scm sc4e table saw and felder 300mm planer thicknesses. rarely used at the same time. Im upgrading my dust extraction. wondering if theres any opinions on running say a cyclone dust extractor ( 1450 m3) vs say a fine filter dust extractor ( say 3000 m3) which is better.
bearing in mind the cyclone will be very near the machines max 5m , but the standard extractor will likely be outside , perhaps 10-15 metres away. The advantage being outside cleaner of course , less noisy and takes up less space.
I know there a lot involved , some general opinions appreciated.
extraction ports on saw and planer are at 125mm

Can't really beat those old 2 - 6 bagger P & J or Fercell dust extractors for a small footprint.

I've seen people fall into the mistake of installing loads those "fine filter" 6" diameter filter bags after being told by a rep that it's the best you can have. Only to find that they almost instantly fill with shavings and it is an absolute nightmare to clear about 90-100 of them. That's why you shouldn't trust what a rep will tell you about anything like that because about 95% of reps are people with no practical experience at all, only theoretical knowledge of what they've been told to say. They probably work well if all you do is sanding and sawing but if you're doing more heavy work like planing and moulding they just can't keep up with the volume of shavings.

i think the big question is will i get better performance on a 1500 m3 cyclone next to the machine or 3000 m3 extractor 12 metres away...

A cyclone that far away from the main machine will just sap power from it, all a cyclone does is help prevent pre-mature clogging of the filter in the main suction unit, if that is going to be outside I would not bother with the cyclone, just another thing to maintain and empty.

Mike

I've seen some simple measurements on youtube that suggest cyclones and thien baffles reduce the pressure or airflow (I forget which) by well over 30% so these have their benefits but come at a significant price in performance terms. This feels consistent with the experience of a small plastic cyclone on a shop vac.
As mentioned above, the P&J type filters consisting of a box containing a fan and felt filter bag with half a dozen pockets is quite a neat piece of kit. I have a secondhand one with a tablsaw outfeed table on top and it's created a way for me to have a decent extractor without a space hog of a bag collector in my small shop. Excellent kit.

Back