Dust collector - remote control

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkyD

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a chip/dust collector that has the 16amp commando socket and trying to find a product that will allow me to switch the machine on and off remotely. I've trawled the internet for something similar to the 13amp remote controlled sockets but can't find anything that will work with the commando style socket.

Has anybody in the group overcome this, if so I would appreciate some pointers to what products are available?

Thanks.

Some colleagues of mine have solved this by using contactors and low amp on-off remote switches.
Naturally, check whether such a solution is compliant with UK regulations.

fairly straightforward for someone with some electrical competence to knock something up using a module such as this with a 12v supply and a contactor with a 12v coil such as this

Mr T":2jp6ou8m said:
I have a system from Axminster that uses sensors on the machines motor and swithes on the extractor when you switch the machine on. It meant a little fiddling with the switch on the extractor but works well. You can run about five machines on it. Not cheap though!
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-auto-extract-controller-unit-ax21176
If you find you need some extension cables for the sensors, normal audio jack cables do exactly the same thing. Heck of alot cheaper than Axminsters offering aswell !
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":2049ow3a said:
Mr T":2049ow3a said:
I have a system from Axminster that uses sensors on the machines motor and swithes on the extractor when you switch the machine on. It meant a little fiddling with the switch on the extractor but works well. You can run about five machines on it. Not cheap though!
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-auto-extract-controller-unit-ax21176
If you find you need some extension cables for the sensors, normal audio jack cables do exactly the same thing. Heck of alot cheaper than Axminsters offering aswell !
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks Coley that's worth knowing.

Chris

I have my Dx socket wired through a elec shower pull switch with an extended pull running horizontally across ceiling height so I can reach up and pull it from anywhere in workshop.

Quick n cheap (but would not work if your dx has a nvr).

Simon

I considered the machine on-off sensor system when setting up my w/s but considered it expensive. Also you don't necessarily want the extraction motor to turn of every time you stop the m/c you're working on.
I used a Maplin remote on/off controller which switched the extractor contactor. The Maplin unit soon failed and I replaced it with another of unknown origin which has lasted years, although I did have to renew the remote battery a few months ago. If you go down this route find a remote that you can keep in your pocket without accidentally pressing the button!
Brian

There are a lot of threads around on this subject and as I couldn’t find a current one thought I’d add my twopenn’th here.
I had hard wired switches to my Record extractor at various locations when my workshop was split by a dividing wall after previously using a cheap RC system which failed.
When I remodelled my shop and was left with an open area I installed a new chip extractor with an nvr switch. This included overload protection too so, although possible, utilising the sort of rc system outlined here and elsewhere in my opinion isn’t worth the effort.
So I retained the hard wired option and removed the nvr switch from the extractor, blanked it off and connected it to a junction box in the middle of the shop. I have a lathe and bandsaw on one side of the shop and planer on the opposite side with a mobile bench containing bench saw and router in between.
I placed the original switch between the lathe and bandsaw and put a new similar one close to the planer. Each one connected to an adjacent power socket and to the junction box (using 4 core and earth to replicate the extractor wiring). The extractor now has no direct power cable.
The extractor is easily switched on or off when working on the perimeter machines and each switch is only a step or two away when working on my central mobile benches.
I consider the relatively small additional but eminently simple installation of the extra wiring and switches a much better solution. The nvr switching is retained (although for an extractor I think an unnecessary item) and more importantly so is the overload protection. And I don’t have to remember where I put the rc remote!
John N

Back