Dust Collection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajayre

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a solution for my small workshop (12ft x 12ft) and I am completely confused!

I have a BS250 bandsaw, router table, small CNC machine (24" x 12"), scrollsaw, disc/belt sander and hand-held power tools (planer, sander, trim router, jigsaw, etc.). Sometimes I use a sanding drum on my drill press. I am mostly working at making musical instruments, so working with small pieces of hardwoods and plywood (for making jigs), and sometimes a bit of MDF, but I really don't like that stuff so I try to avoid it. I use my workshop for about four or five hours a week. I have a 3M 7500 mask.

As far as I can tell I have the following options:

- shopvac on it's own
- shopvac with Oneida Dust Deputy
- shopvac with Triton Dust Bucket
- Dust extractor such as Record DX1000
- Dust/chip extractor such as Record CX2600
- Microclene MC420

What adds to my confusion is if I compare the DX1000, RSDE1 and RSDE2 on the Record website they all appear identical except capacity is slightly more for the RSDE2, yet the price range is £130 - £260, which is quite a range for hardly any difference. What am I missing?

Ideally I would prefer a quieter setup, as I am not too far from the neighbors.

I feel the more I read the more confusing it becomes. Any pointers to de-confuse would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Any of the units you list will catch the larger particles, but only the CX will catch the majority of very fine dust at the source
(not sure that the filtration bag it comes with is any good, though).
Seeing how you do small scale work and have a 12x12 shop, I'd go for some kind of a shopvac and a mask.
A ceiling mounted air filtration unit would be good to have too, if it is within your budget, otherwise an open window.

Back