Dust collection in a small shop. How to suck?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I reckon one of the panel filters would make a good "pre-filter" ahead of the fan, and then one of the multi-pocket filters would be ideal for the back end, main filter. As to which ones exactly.....well you know as much as I do!

Could size them based on what we know of the Axminster MTM or similar I guess?

One final thought I wanted to add here. The Microclene style filters, which aren't as effective at removing all small particles (as Boz rightly pointed out) work on the premise that they stop some percentage of smaller particles each time they pass the air. So, if they grab just 10% of the submicron particles each time, over a number of hours, as the air repeatedly passes through, the air gets progressively cleaner.

Contrast this with a HEPA filter, more aimed at an extractor or vacuum cleaner, which removes a very high percentage of the submicron particles in one go. But the HEPA has a very large air resistance, and hence needs the power of a vacuum motor to shove the air through it.....high pressure but low volume. The Microclene on the other hand uses a centrifugal fan, and goes for high volume, but low pressure.

It took me a while to sort all this out in my own mind, but that's how I understand it at least!

Hm - makes sense. Thanks for posting that thought, Graeme.
Plenty of food for thought here.

In other news - I had an impression taken for a custom gumshield (I have hobbies somewhat less tranquil than even power-tool woodworking) today; it's got me thinking about the possibility of making a custom facemask and butchering a 3m mask for the valve and filter ports to mold into it. Take the mold with the same pink goo used for dental impressions, back it with some sort of support, make a cast and then build a mask around that. That could be a fun project and would certainly fit better than a standard mask...
...I think I might have to try it just for giggles. :D

BS I'd be interested in how that goes, neither my 3m nor airace fit my face well. Moulding one seems sensible. Good idea.

Now I'm back from the menders, I'm going to start looking for fans on ebay again.

It'll be a way off yet, Tom, but you can rest assured I'll have pics up on here if I ever get around to doing it.

Let us know if you have any luck with the fans (I'm sure you'll tell us before the auction ends so we can all have a fair chance at bidding (yea RIGHT! ;)).

just one point with the Henry. I bought one recently for jobs away from the workshop etc. Nice and light, compact, sturdy, powerful for size, quite quiet. great product. But there's always something to spoil it isn't there?

They have now fitted a rocker switch to increase to full power. This means every time you switch on the main rocker switch you have to wait a second and then press the second rocker switch to put it on full power. It drives me mad.

for your use you can leave the main rocker switch at the on position if it's in the cupboard and switch it on remotely at the plug socket but it'll only come on at half power till you reach in and press the sprung rocker switch on the vac.

Not sure about the older ones though.

All to do with saving the environment apparently. Well done designers, the drop in sales should tell you something!

It sounds a bit like those small-flush toilets. There's now (if I recall correctly) a limit on the flush volume of toilets - which is great, using far less water per flush.

Only, now there's not enough water to actually remove everything from the bowl, so not only do you have to wait around for the cistern to re-fill, but you end up using MORE water anyway.

As for that rocker - thanks for the notice, it would be a pain to have to rummage for the switch every time... though I don't expect it would be beyond the capabilities of many people to replace it with an on-on toggle switch or a push to make-push to break button... well, unless it's part of some circuit board which would be tricker to fix.

It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad that "environmentally friendly" has come to mean a load of technology that doesn't do the job properly without workarounds.

That said - the chances are that I'll be getting a used one anyway - which means no "environmentally friendly" switch to repair the broken-by-default vac. :p

Back