Dust/chip extractor recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicola

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I would really appreciate some advice!
I am just setting up a workshop in my back yard (approximately 5m x 5m) and need extraction for the following machines:

Startrite 501e bandsaw (has 2 x 100mm ports and needs
460 m3/h)
Lathe (planning to get a positionable dust hood of some description)
12" disk sander (bench mounted type, 38mm port)
Chopsaw
Various power tools such as pad/belt sanders, router etc)

I was hoping to get one like the Record DX4000 because I hate changing bags and wanted something compact but it doesn't QUITE have enough airflow for my bandsaw. Ideally I would like to purchase an extractor that could be used for all the different machines (obviously needing to buy adaptors/step-down hoses for the smaller tools) but understand that it might be better to have a dedicated chip/dust extractor which stays put for the larger machines and a dalek style one that I can move around for the power tools.

I would love to know your thoughts and experiences, and perhaps which extractors I should have a look at. Thanks in advance!

(Thought I should add, I sadly don't have a big budget...)

There isn't a one size fits all solution. Different machines need different extraction. I have a Record that takes care of the Planer and Bandsaw and smaller portable stuff for my other gear, which i move around as needed. Chip extractors and dust extractors work in different ways.

Had a quick look at the DX4000 and although they will work for both types of machinery, i think you ought to be looking at separating the extraction of the larger and smaller machines/power tools. I bought my Record extractor as a one stop solution, but quickly found that when you reduce the pipe size down for smaller stuff, problems start. In fact, if the bag wasn't weighed down, it would get sucked inside the machine and pop. There are instances of the whole bottom end of the extractor getting crushed and distorted by the bag imploding. This can't happen with the DX4000 as it doesn't have a bag, but i feel that although they are ok at both types of extraction, they are not great at either. Nothing wrong with Record gear and mine has worked well for many years as long as i keep it just to the 100mm pipe and not use it for stuff that has to be stepped down in size to 32/40mm. A smaller pipe was supplied with it for this purpose, but in reality, it doesn't work well. So look to get a HVLP type for your bigger machines and a portable HPLV type for the other stuff, which you can move around to suit.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Latest posts

Back