Dust/Chip Extraction for Small Workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onlinename

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm going to buy a DeWalt DW745 small table saw, a small belt & disc sander. Perhaps a small 8" x 4" planer thicknesser and I might be installing a router table.

Usage would be around 3 days a week but not for a massive amount of wood or anything.

I am in between these extractors however they vary from 99.00 to 180.00.
The axminster is for 99.00 however it says its a chip extractor. Would that not be suitable you reckon for the sander at all?

Currently as I am using palm sanders etc I embarrassingly have a 2000w hoover that I use to clean up the mess..

Let me know what you guys think is best for starting out..

Thanks!

EDIT: I should note that this is a very small workshop 2m x 5m so space-saving solutions would be best

Attachments

• axminster.jpg
    axminster.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 2,723
  • 717286_xl.jpg
    717286_xl.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 2,723
  • metabo.JPG
    metabo.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 2,723
Or should I just go for this one on Amazon for 105GBP?

Do you reckon I could get adaptors for it?

Attachments

• 71C13AXtCBL._AA1500_.jpg
    71C13AXtCBL._AA1500_.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 2,703
I think the axminster and metabo are pretty much the same. I'm sure both have the same size motor and suck power. Also both those vacuum extractors are probably the same as well. Adapters are sold by axminster and others

http://www.axminster.co.uk/extraction-a ... 12554_pg1/

You could use either type for static machines as most of the dust created is the type you can see. Which means it is big enough for the chip extractor to pick up. But not really suitable for hand held sanders etc. Noise wise, the chip extractors have induction motors so are quieter.

With both types you you can fit between the tools and extractor some form of cyclone device.

http://cyclonecentral.co.uk/

A couple video's on there that show you. :)

Oh right, I see what you mean, quite a lot of accessories.

What about this SIP one with the adaptors? It's 100GBP including delivery.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-20 at 18.33.15.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-20 at 18.33.15.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 2,696
I have the Woodstar version of the Axminster/SIP. It's not bad, but if were to buy a vacuum extractor again now I would go for something with more suction as dust and chippings tend to gather in hose.

For powertool extraction and tidying up I use a wet-and-dry vacuum cleaner. I bought mine from Aldi (or Lidl - still can't tell them apart) for £60 so you don't have to spend a fortune.

Mark

i can´t help you much with choosing your chip extractor, but you want more filtration (meaning smaller particle size) than the announced 30 microns on the axminster - i guess the reasons are now well understood and all over the net, so i won´t restate them here -, a fine filter bag or a fine cartridge filter are good investments you can make later on.
Since you´re using a belt sander, I would also prefer an extractor with more power and more airflow, so that it would pick up more of the smaller particles at the source, as these tend to scatter on all directions and are thrown further away than the larger chips. don´t forget that curves in the ducting significantly decrease suction / increase turbulence, so i´d keep ducting fairly straight and short. sorry if you already knew all this.

good luck!
miguel.

Right, so based on some more reading on the forum I'm going to go with the SIP vacum. I found it for 88.00GBP on Toolstation so I think that makes it the best buy right now. I just need to buy a 63mm hose to connect to the circ saw and the sander.

Anyone got some good arguments against that?

Not sure if you went for this in the end or not, but I got the SIP last week and its great.
Adapters fit most things I've got ( router table, kreg jig, homemade adapter for Leigh FMT ).

No complaints yet, good bit of kit that gives me a nice supply of kindling for the fire :)

Pete

coot":y1urocu9 said:
Not sure if you went for this in the end or not, but I got the SIP last week and its great.
Adapters fit most things I've got ( router table, kreg jig, homemade adapter for Leigh FMT ).

No complaints yet, good bit of kit that gives me a nice supply of kindling for the fire :)

Pete

I did indeed. It's waiting for me at the workshop to be opened when I go on Friday :) looking forward to it.I am glad you are pleased with it!

Back