Drum Sanders...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomorph

Established Member
Reaction score
After trying to sand a curve I decided it's time to get a drum sander. As I can't afford a dedicated bobbin sander I had a look around the different ones available for use with a drill press.

Man what a price range... From £8.23 for this to £49.95 for for this.

Is the cheap Axminster drum set any good? Is it worth getting a more expensive set?

I've just bought the Screwfix equivalent of the Axminster one,but as I haven't actually unwrapped it yet (only arrived yesterday) would also welcome everyones opinions :D

Andrew

Wow... That's almost £100 for those 4 drum sanders. You would have been better off getting a dedicated machine for that! :shock:

Mind you, the cheapest decent one I could find was £159 for the SIP one. so perhaps your way is better.

Have you thought of getting some rope and tying it to the drill press handle and running it to a treadle pedal to make the sander drum bob up and down?

There was an article in FWW many years ago about converting a cheap Chaiwanese drill press to an oscillating bobbin sander. Want a photocopy if I can find it?

Update: Found where the article is (issue 87) - just can't find the issue!

Scrit

I found I was using the one 3inch that I had a lot, but changing paper was a fiddle. I guess they are expensive, but I bought the other two at a good discount from a show near closing time and they are good gear.

Have never really felt I needed any up and down motion on the sander. I just made an mdf plate with a recess in it just bigger than the drum dia that locates on the drill table. I was thinking of making another sometime with a dust port under it.

They are sometimes useful in a portable drill too. I just did the final fitting of the corner radii in the cutout for the lift in my new router table with the 1" one - it made an excellent job of it as I had made the actual radius too big on the template I used - better that way than the other I thought.

regards

Colin

I don't know which drill press you have but I believe you have to be aware of which kind of chuck you have set up, as some are prone to vibrating loose when used with a sanding drum, so I have been informed by Axminster's website and the people at Machine Mart.

Latest posts

Back