Drum sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of turning my tyzak spindle moulder into a drum sander with a spindle attachment , has anyone used these drums ? I was hoping to use it to clean up windows and cupboard doors , i'm hoping i can just run the stiles along the fence , hit the drum sander and have a nice cleaned up surface . Do you think it will work ????

Hi Jason,

I works pretty good. I use that setup for the edges of MDF, there are a few things to get it working well.

Power feed is essential
Extremely Gentle material removal... two fine passes than one heavy
If you use something like the Carroll drums heavy passes will damage the rubber backing from too much heat.
You will need to wind the spindle up or down to get the most use of the grit.

Paul

I saw the carroll drums in the Axminster cat but looking at the new one they are not in there .
I was reading it as the power feed ran off about 300m of glazing beads 8) This power feed is going to coast me a fortune :lol:

Jason,

I've used the Carroll drum sander on the spindle moulder.
Very effective but only for light passes and you also need to use good quality abrasive paper

If you order direct get some replacement backing foam :wink: :lol:

Andy

In your opinions would cleaning up a window after you have cut off the horns and M&T be too much ? I normally use a belt sander but it's quite time consuming flipping the window round and holding it in a vice etc .

How about using your tablesaw as a disc sander?(assuming you have one) :lol: You can buy a 10" aluminium disc for the table saw that takes those self adhesive disc used on Disc Sanders. 8) I've seen a diy version with homemade plywood disc, another one of those ideas i mean to try out myself :roll: edit: maybe a couple plywood disc's with different grits on.
I've got one of Carol's drums set up on the drill press useful for sanding curve work, I've rigged a dust extraction, a must! I've found the spindle moulder rpm to be to high so the wood just burns and the sand paper clogs very quick.
The other way to look at the problem is to use your belt sander clamped on it's side on the bench. You might need some packers under the case or a plywood jig to support.

Alex

The belt sander works fine as it is but i have the tyzak sitting the doing nowt so why not get it working . @ £100 its alot of money to spend on something i want rid of but if it works then ill be happy .

Jfc - what speed does you moulder run at? could you put another pulley in? or sell it and buy the real deal an oscillating bobbin sander. Spindle moulders are brilliant bit of kit useful for clean fast rebates/slotting jointing and of course moulding, why aren't you putting it to good use? Yeh the belt sander clamped to the bench on it's side is an old shop trick. Bring mohammed to the mountain not the mountain to mohammed. :lol:
Dom- how does the tablesaw disc sander differ from a disc sander? Saying that of course you have to cut new table insert. :D

Alex

Alex , i have a 3HP Bursgreen doing the spindle moulding . The Tyzak is 1/2 HP and used for french cutters . I dont use it so i thought i could bring it back in use as a sander .

I've read down through the posts and no one has mentioned the speed of a spindle moulder, would it not be too fast rpm to use as a sander? my bobbin runs at about 500rpm anything faster is going to burn the wood surely, or explode sending bits everywhere. :shock:

I see :oops: I've now knowledge on the Tyzack but would it take one of those collet adapters so you could use it as a heavy router table?
Even if you drop the speed, with no oscilation the sand paper clogs to much and you're left with shoddy finish. You'll find it goes through loadings like no-ones business. :shock:

I already have a record router table with a sliding bed :lol: The Carroll blocks take normal sanding rolls so very cheap really , probably cheaper than the belt sander ?

JFC":9oy0pe1u said:
The Carroll drums run at max 10 000 RPM
They may be balanced to run at that speed, however most single-speed industrial sander run at 1,500 rpm with the current thinking being that a speed of between 500 and 1250 rpm is best because it will burn less readily and that the abrasives will clog less rapidly. For this reason spindle moulders designed to sand have a 1,500 rpm speed available. I also have to agree with Alex that without oscillation the loading will clog quickly.

Scrit

I'll pineapple the spindle with a lump of 4X2 before i fit the drum then , we have oscillation :lol:

Latest posts

Back