Drum Sander Loading Suppliers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noddy67

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to order some replacement rolls of 100mm cloth backed sand paper to load onto an Axminster senior drum sander. I tried some abranet but it didn't work at all. The pre cut stuff from Axminster is a little pricy for me.

Anyone have any recommendations that are available in the UK and don't break the bank?

Cheers

+1 for CSM but make sure you tell them it's for a drum sander so they send continuous lengths. They sell proper cloth backed stuff which lasts very much better than the paper stuff and can be washed.

I also objected to Axminster's price and just last week I bought some of this from http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/r/RODAOBC/. My Jet drum sander needs 76mm wide abrasive so I cut it down in width with a Stanley knife and a straight edge and copied the tapers off my old abrasive strip. I could possibly have used the 115mm but would have to work out the taper at the ends.

So, twice the length for just over half the price and a spare 38mm wide strip. :D

Looks really interesting whiskywill although I see the finest grain is 120 grit. I was hoping to go finer than that.

How does it seem to be holding up on your jet sander?

The cloth backing looks very similar to that which Axminster supplies but the (P80) abrasive grit seems to be more firmly embedded. I haven't used it a lot yet because I have just ripped my conveyor belt, again. :cry:

I can send you a sample strip if you like.

we always found the Axminster stuff ridiculously expensive and until recently use to cut stuff ourselves. we had a 'sait abrasives' sandpaper rep come in and tried some cloth back stuff they sell- it didn't grip very well and instead tried some of there ' heavy weight paper' stuff. - I cant remember the exact figures but I know it was way way way cheaper buying a roll from them - I can look up further info if needed ;)

just make sure you get it ******101mm********wide !!!

100 is too small, and 102 which we got is o.k but 101 would be perfect. its a joy using the drum sander now instead of wasting time and money cutting it back ourselves.

Coley
p.s there belts for hand belt sanders are cack - tilgear are selling packs of ten '100 grit mirka' ones for just over a fiver ( excluding vat) if you need some

936a5524c02e96da1d3361a7f7f8ae4a.jpg

Regards
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have just come across a seller on the bay selling 'Prodec Advance Proflex' cloth-backed rolls, all grits 40-240, 115mm x 5M for £8.11 each, and a further 10% off if you order 3 or more. As this works out at less than 1/3 of the Axminster price I thought it worth a punt.

Thanks for the suggestion Coley, looked up Tilgear for rolls of paper, they have 50m of Mirka 115mm for less than £20!

I'm assuming you have a Senior drum sander or equivalent, I've tried everywhere to find the right width of paper with out the need to cut it down. Looking at Sait, they only seem to do 115mm wide, are they specially cutting it for you, or am I just having another senior moment?

deema":rzs2k185 said:
Thanks for the suggestion Coley, looked up Tilgear for rolls of paper, they have 50m of Mirka 115mm for less than £20!

I'm assuming you have a Senior drum sander or equivalent, I've tried everywhere to find the right width of paper with out the need to cut it down. Looking at Sait, they only seem to do 115mm wide, are they specially cutting it for you, or am I just having another senior moment?
Yeah they can make it what ever width you want. ;)
Coley

I got fed up with trying to find reasonly priced 71mm abrasive for my jet drum sander, so I ended up modifying it accept 115mm paper. Was surprisingly easy.

http://skinnerdesigns.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... n.html?m=1

Abrasive wise I use mirka Jupuflex. I reinforce the ends with some aluminium tape just in the bend as it's a paper backed abrasive. I run endgrain chopping boards through it a lot and I'm still on my first set of belts and they show little sign of wear. Very impressed with them.

On a side note I would avoid any "net" abrasives as they stretch on the drum.

Back