Drilling a hole through a screwdriver bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everybody. This might be a bit of a random one but I want to drill a 3-3.5mm hole through a standard PH2 1/4 inch hex screw bit for a multitool project I’ve been playing around with (corona lockdown makes work for idle hands!) You may not be surprised to learn that they’re really hard! Most centre punches bounce off them. HSS drill bits won’t touch them either. I’ve had partial success with cobalt bits but have yet to make it all the way through before the bit stops cutting. I’m keeping my spindle speed low, not applying loads of pressure and hopefully not generating too much heat (although I’m not using cutting fluid). Any bright ideas of where I go from here?
Thanks in advance,
Pete.

They probably aren't made of an alloy that is easy to anneal or harden, like HSS.

Carbide drill would definitely do it, but at that size they are very fragile.

Carbide Masonry drill sharpened on a diamond stone has worked for me on hardened tool steel.

carbide drill will do it to, but as has been said they’re fragile and if you snap it in the whole you’re going to be starting again.

To my mind the question is why, and would it be possible to do it another way, you obviously want to attach something to the hexagonal shaft, could you not do it with a hexagonal hole in something else epoxied onto the shaft? Ian
Thinking outside the box, I was never in it to start with!

To my mind the question is why, and would it be possible to do it another way, you obviously want to attach something to the hexagonal shaft, could you not do it with a hexagonal hole in something else epoxied onto the shaft? Ian
Thinking outside the box, I was never in it to start with!
"Why" is the question my wife asks of most of my little projects! I'm looking to keep the piece as small as possible and a keyring split ring would be going through the hole (see attached pic). Ideally I want to keep the piece as small as possible. I agree that attaching something else to the bit would help me side step the immediate problem but it isn't quite what I want to achieve. That said its always good to look at a problem from another direction, thanks.

Attachments

• Screwdriver bit.PNG
    Screwdriver bit.PNG
    96.1 KB · Views: 9
Is that one of their masonry bits that I could sharpen up? Do they go down to 3mm?
There also called multi construction now shouldn't need to sharpen I've used them in the past on screws and bolts just need to make sure screws are rounded off first or the tip brakes up but there basically a pre sharpened bit with a carbide tip!

Why not use a small neodymium magnet on the keyring possible slightly recessed in a tube then just snap the bit on and off when needed. That way no modification to the bit is needed, One size fits all.

Gerry

Why not use a small neodymium magnet on the keyring possible slightly recessed in a tube then just snap the bit on and off when needed. That way no modification to the bit is needed, One size fits all.

Gerry
Thanks Gerry. The plan is to use existing keys as the means to drive the bit so I still need the slot in the top (easy enough to cut in with a thin cutting disc and diamond files). I know magnets are strong but if it can detach when you want it to it can also detach when you don't want it to so the risk of loosing the bit is greater (but easy / cheap to replace I suppose). I'm also mildly concerned about magnets around bank cards on something that will be carried in a pocket potentially with a wallet. Not sure if this is just an urban myth though.

Latest posts

Back