Cheap small drill bits.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a real tool snob and also I ignore all the little magic hints and tips you see as they are pointless and I know better 🙄

Today I needed to drill some 1.5mm holes in some Sapele for panel pins to go through, after a few holes I clumsily knocked over the drill and of course it landed on the bit snapping it (I do get through a few of them this way). It was the only bit that size I had left so what to do? I remembered seeing somewhere (could have been on here) someone using a panel pin as a drill bit so thought I would give it a try. I cut the head off a pin popped it in the chuck and WOW, it worked perfectly!

I know loads of you have probably used this method for years but just thought I would post it for the benefit of people like me who are stuck in their ways and instantly dismiss such daft ideas 😉

drill bit.jpg

I do this for all nailing, you can go a stage further and sharpen the tip with a flat file, stops the wood splitting.

Back