• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Drilling a hole through a screwdriver bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Jelly

Established Member
Reaction score
Carbide drill would definitely do it, but at that size they are very fragile.
If he's sufficiently determined making a custom drill bushing out of scrap steel would mitigate the risk of snapping...

Although I'd probably just take the chance and center drill it then run the drill bit fast, whilst feeding with consistent pressure.

Inspector

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!
Reaction score
Look for a company that does wire EDM cutting (Electric Discharge Machining). It can cut very thin slots and holes. They are used by companies cutting muzzle brakes in the end of rifle barrels among other things. The other option would be an industrial laser. With either the more you get done the cheaper they will be. Make lots and if they work out you have your little web business.

Pete

Rorschach

Living on borrowed time
Reaction score
If he's sufficiently determined making a custom drill bushing out of scrap steel would mitigate the risk of snapping...

Although I'd probably just take the chance and center drill it then run the drill bit fast, whilst feeding with consistent pressure.
Yes that would help. I personally find it's the swarf that causes the problem, get's jammed in the flutes and because it is hard it doesn't crumble like like normal chips. Have to peck drill gently.

Ttrees

Iroko loco!
Reaction score
How long does a good bit (which is sharp) last, before it starts talking to you?

Did you try them in some mild steel first to check if they were actually sharp?

Drilling some stainless recently and the new quality bits from a proper engineering place were not able to cut at all!
I was very surprised at that, and all was sound once I took some old ones to the bench grinder.
Once it starts talking back to you, stop and sharpen it, you're only wasting your time
otherwise and hardening it, a sharp bit will likely get under it.

Good luck
Tom

--Tom--

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m intrigued so will give it a go tomorrow on a spare pozi 2 tomorrow.

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
If someone asked me to do it I think I would try a solid carbide stub drill in the milling machine. Rennie tools have them on eBay for about a fiver including postage.

Reaction score
So I fired up the blow torch with the screw-head end in dipped in snow and heated up the hex end until it glowed red. After that the centre punch left an indent and the cobalt drill bit went through without too much fuss. I don’t know the quality of the bit i was using; it wasn’t a Dewalt one and could well be a Chineseium one but either way it now has a hole where I wanted it. Thanks for all your help guys.

Attachments

GLFaria

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Are not these bits case-hardened by chance? If so, they are probably made from low carbon (<1% C) steel, not susceptible to proper tempering/hardening
In this case the way to go would be to grind through the hardened "skin" with a small abrasive rotary tool (Dremel-like), the underlying steel could then be drilled with a HSS drill bit.

Mind you, I am not speaking from experience - I never felt the need for drilling through a bit. That's why I am using the conditional. I may try it some day when I have nothing better to do (improbable)
Cheers

flying haggis

Established Member
Reaction score
if you dont want to drill your own bits

hugov

Reaction score
It is possible to DIY your own improvised EDM setup at home, although it is a project unto itself... check out