drill perpendicularly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in the situation to achieve some holes in the cost of some slabs for dowels shelves.
I'm wondering if it's possible to do those holes perpendicularly to the costs without a drill press, with a sort of jig.
Is there anyone who has achieved a sort of that or can give me advices?

Cheers
Gabriele

Gabriele,

One option is to drill as accurate a hole as possible in a block of wood, clamp that to the work and use it to guide the drill. If you're slightly "off" you can plane the block to adjust it square. Alternatively, if you're using a power drill (I assume?) there are jigs like this which are actually not that bad.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2lworuu5 said:
Gabriele,

One option is to drill as accurate a hole as possible in a block of wood, clamp that to the work and use it to guide the drill. If you're slightly "off" you can plane the block to adjust it square. Alternatively, if you're using a power drill (I assume?) there are jigs like this which are actually not that bad.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf,
yes I'll use a power drill :roll: (even if I'd like to have a brace drill; it's so "old" and recalls more of other tools -at least for me- the time when all things were done with the "hands" ).
I saw that drill guide somewhere, but the block way could be what match for me. It's a simple effective idea :wink:

You are a very gold mine of advices :D

Cheers
Gabriele

Alf":1dmkv3in said:
Gabriele,
Alternatively, if you're using a power drill (I assume?) there are jigs like this which are actually not that bad.

Cheers, Alf

IMHO - I think it's horrible and inaccurate!!

You could use a second pair of eyes to ensure that the drill is vertical in at least one plane.

Ive been told, though I cant say Ive actually tried it, that placing an old cd on the workpiece and drilling through it helps you to see whether the drill bit is perpendicular to the work because of the mirrored surfaces. It may just be fantasy though.
Cheers Mike

Hi Roger,

I think for me it could work. I have only to hang a shelve at the wall with inner dowels. If it'll be out of level, I thik I could force the shelve with its metal dowels inside :roll:

Cheers
Gabriele

I have used a router base to guide a drill before.
It obviously needs to be a base of something like the t3 or that little bosh, with the removable motor. The base clamp diameter is 43mm, the same as most drills.
The main limitation is the amount of travel, but it gives you a good starting point.
Place some parallel under to pack up to suit the drill bit.

GEPPETTO":wze7jgva said:
Hi Roger,

I think for me it could work. I have only to hang a shelve at the wall with inner dowels. If it'll be out of level, I thik I could force the shelve with its metal dowels inside :roll:

Cheers
Gabriele

Hi Gabrielle..don't buy a new one....you can have mine. I can post it to you and, should we ever meet, buy me a grappa :D

Roger Sinden":38lovjn2 said:
GEPPETTO":38lovjn2 said:
Hi Roger,

Cheers
Gabriele

Hi Gabrielle..don't buy a new one....you can have mine. I can post it to you and, should we ever meet, buy me a grappa :D

Hi Roger,
no,no,no I don't have, for the moment, the wish to purchase a such tool.. only to do few holes... I could go to some friend who drills the holes for me.
When I said that statement I wanted to refer at the "Alf's block" and....IT WORKS :D It was easy to drill the holes :wink:
Many thanks for the offer :wink: Do you like grappa ? Did You drink it here or there?

All good things could have the other face of the coin.. I explain better. Yesterday when I sanded the shelves the vibrations have done to fall down my #5 on the floor :evil: this is the not to have a proper workbench with a tool tray ( I even could to put away the plane :roll: ) .. however I hadn't the courage to go to see what happened.. fortunately only the horn of the tote is broken and is sprung away parhaps on the moon, I haven't found it yet.

Now, if I'm no able to find it..
where can I find a scratch of rosewood to repair the tote? By web?

Cheers
Gabriele

Gabriele, a tale of good news and bad news then. :? At least you were lucky enough not to break the plane. [-o<

For the rosewood you're best bet is to look for woodturning blanks - an excellent way to get a small quantity of exotic wood. And while I'm here, a few links to how to go about the repair here, here and here.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":imuqvnby said:
Gabriele, a tale of good news and bad news then. :? At least you were lucky enough not to break the plane. [-o<

For the rosewood you're best bet is to look for woodturning blanks - an excellent way to get a small quantity of exotic wood. And while I'm here, a few links to how to go about the repair here, here and here.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf,
yes it was a miracle [-o< pfiuuu... by your experience what it the more right piece I could buy ? 4" x 4" x 2" could be right ? what means Sonokeling ?
Thanks for the links

Cheers
Gabriele

GEPPETTO":31saorbv said:
by your experience what it the more right piece I could buy ? 4" x 4" x 2" could be right ? what means Sonokeling ?
Funnily enough I just got a piece that size last month and I'd say it'd be ideal - looks much more like tote material than the picture suggests (although obviously it'll vary from piece to piece). Why Sonokeling? I don't have the first idea why; location possibly. I expect the answer's out there in Google Land somewhere. :D

Cheers, Alf

Guys, yesterday afternoon I found that piece.. it matches almost perfectly.. there's a little wood missing at the inside part of the horn, to explain better when you grab the tote it remains between the thumb and the forefinger. I hope to fill it with the epoxy glue, What do you think abou epoxy as filler?

Cheers
Gabriele

Hi All,
finally I have my little digital camera :D . With the pretext to give as a gift to my wife (she's crazy for photos) I bought it :D hence I want to share those dowels shelves:

here
here
here
here

With the Alf's advice it wasn't too much difficult to drill the holes perperdicularly. The main challenge was to sign where to drill the dowel's holes on the wall :? I solved it with these which inserted in the holes and pressed the shelve against the wall have to leave the exact point where to bore .

Thanks again to All you.

Many cheers
Gabriele

Back