Dowel jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not had the same experience. Whilst the couple of jigs I purchased from Bangood looked impressive the accuracy in machining was poor giving mediocre results. Yes, they are inexpensive but I'd prefer something that works well and will last.
If you read the buyers reviews occasionally there are comments regarding design or accuracy usually confirmed by several other buyers . Banggood obviously listen to their customers as weeks/ months later you will see the same product with the word upgraded in the description . They have most likely addressed the issues . Ok so maybe your average proffesional would not buy these products for whatever reasons but it’s a little different for your average hobbyist or weekend woodworker on limited budgets . A £500 bit of kit from the likes of woodpeckers can be easily justified if you have multiple clients paying a premium price for bespoke work as the cost can be absorbed over several jobs . This approach would not work for non professionals .

If you read the buyers reviews occasionally there are comments regarding design or accuracy usually confirmed by several other buyers . Banggood obviously listen to their customers as weeks/ months later you will see the same product with the word upgraded in the description . They have most likely addressed the issues . Ok so maybe your average proffesional would not buy these products for whatever reasons but it’s a little different for your average hobbyist or weekend woodworker on limited budgets . A £500 bit of kit from the likes of woodpeckers can be easily justified if you have multiple clients paying a premium price for bespoke work as the cost can be absorbed over several jobs . This approach would not work for non professionals .
I'm DIY, I do the odd bit for friends and neighbours. I like shiny tools but have never bought anything Woodpecker. I'm more of a pro. Starrett type. If I can't afford it, which is often the case I will wait.

"I think you can buy these" So you've never actually used these ?
Yep. Hardly ever done dowels as a joint, except quite often as repair of existing.
I have, they're rubbish, slow, awkward and imprecise.
Right. I'll take your word for it!
I wondered about the double sided drawing pin idea which I saw somewhere, maybe that'd be better?

Last edited:
That is the big issue, it is like playing Russian roulette because you never know what you are going to get and if you look at some previous threads you will see that these asian sites are even using images from the likes of woodpeckers to sell something that is absolute plastic junk but you only find out when it arrives. For me I don't want the surprises and want something that is well engineered and will do the job. Why these sites are selling such shiette has no reasoning because they are more than capable of delivering products that could equal the best but seem to think us brits only purchase on price alone. The Dowelmax I use is engineered so that all the drill guides are precisely located and it works because of the symmetry of the block, there is an asian clone of the Dowelmax that looks the same but has been manufactured to much lower standards which you will discover when you come to assembly of the joint, we are talking about thousanths of an inch but they make all the difference when it comes to dowels and it is this precision engineering that cost time and money.
Before purchasing my Dowelmax, I made a 'copy', & yes, inaccuracies crept in, but only thousands of an inch, but enough to make it useless for the intended purpose. I bit the bullet & ordered one from the then UK agent, & have never regretted it. I've made two sideboards, a hi-fi cabinet , & a pedestal desk etc using it.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good dowel jig? I'm looking to drill equidistant dowel holes into parallel mdf sheets to support movable shelving.
I have the ‘multi-hole puncher’ that’s been mentioned in this thread, but I use it for dowel joints with either the 6mm or 8mm drill guides. Not thought to use it for shelf pin holes as a) I would need to order some 5mm drill guides, b) the holes produced using the drill guides may be too sloppy for the shelf pin, and c) I have a previously purchased Kreg shelf pin jig that I’ve found accurate enough for my needs.

I have the ‘multi-hole puncher’ that’s been mentioned in this thread, but I use it for dowel joints with either the 6mm or 8mm drill guides. Not thought to use it for shelf pin holes as a) I would need to order some 5mm drill guides, b) the holes produced using the drill guides may be too sloppy for the shelf pin, and c) I have a previously purchased Kreg shelf pin jig that I’ve found accurate enough for my needs.
Sloppy shelf pins no prob (within reason) once they are in and supporting a shelf. They can't go anywhere.

Sloppy shelf pins no prob (within reason) once they are in and supporting a shelf. They can't go anywhere.
Exactly, within reason. I’ve heard of people using a slightly undersized drill bit for their 5mm shelf pins to ensure a snug fit.

But as mentioned in my reply to the OP, I don’t run the risk of sloppy holes (ooh err) as I don’t use my ‘multi-hole puncher’ for drilling shelf pin holes.

I Have the Wnew jig from Banggood and I can confirm it is excellent.

It is accurate, easy to use and well thought-out. A substantial piece of kit, it comes with all you need to produce accurate and consistent dowel joints. It is useful to have a clamp - they offer a kit which includes one - but if you have a pocket hole jig you’ll already have one.

Check out the Hooked on Wood reviews on YouTube. Well worth it.

Investigate a Woden X-190

They can be found on that well known auction site for C £20.00 - £30.00 depending on condition.

Though pristine examples seem to be reaching £40.00 with the box cover.

They come with imperial bushes but will accept 6-8 and10mm drill bits.

I have two!

I'm DIY, I do the odd bit for friends and neighbours. I like shiny tools but have never bought anything Woodpecker. I'm more of a pro. Starrett type. If I can't afford it, which is often the case I will wait.
Fair play to you , I could easily spend thousands on the likes of woodpeckers etc , starrett no argument there I have many starrett hole saws and arbours and would not consider any others . But due to cash or the lack of it I’ve explored the likes of Banggood . I honestly not say something was good if it wasn’t so no offence intended or taken ..🤗🤗

I Have the Wnew jig from Banggood and I can confirm it is excellent.

It is accurate, easy to use and well thought-out. A substantial piece of kit, it comes with all you need to produce accurate and consistent dowel joints. It is useful to have a clamp - they offer a kit which includes one - but if you have a pocket hole jig you’ll already have one.

Check out the Hooked on Wood reviews on YouTube. Well worth it.
These were the videos that changed my opinion of Bangood , I was a bit of a tool snob prior but he changed my mind. tbh very well made videos s and informative .

They can be found on that well known auction site for C £20.00 - £30.00 depending on condition.

I have two!
I have always used my Woden jig for jointing. I have also found to does the job quickly and easily.

Had this come through earlier from rutlands ..not a bad price
Its £30 atm one of there daily deals so will go back to £50

Attachments

• IMG_2425.png
    IMG_2425.png
    311.3 KB · Views: 0
Had this come through earlier from rutlands ..not a bad price
Its £30 atm one of there daily deals so will go back to £50
Looks OK, but unusually for Rutlands there's a scathing review of it, finishing...
" I am a professional cabinet maker, fortunately I tested the jig on some off cuts before using for its intended purpose. This product is not suitable for quality work despite its price."

Looks OK, but unusually for Rutlands there's a scathing review of it, finishing...
" I am a professional cabinet maker, fortunately I tested the jig on some off cuts before using for its intended purpose. This product is not suitable for quality work despite its price."
They must have removed that review smartish because as of 5 minutes ago there are only four 5 star reviews. No surprises there...............

They must have removed that review smartish because as of 5 minutes ago there are only four 5 star reviews. No surprises there...............
No, it's still there. 6 reviews, 4 on the first page, 2 on the second. You need to click next to see them all.

No, it's still there. 6 reviews, 4 on the first page, 2 on the second. You need to click next to see them all.
Apologies my mistake but when I just looked again there were still only the 4 reviews until I fiddled around and pressed 'Discover all details ' and then the 'next' option with that review suddenly appeared; most odd. I'm cynical about Rutlands since they didn't publish a negative review I gave regarding their 1/2'' router and only did publish it after I insisted, having reminded them how much I had spent with them previously ) It wasn't there for long and then it was back to the all 5 star reviews. I imported a few grands worth of machinery, mainly Scheppach to Ireland from them 20 odd years ago as prices over here were ludicrous and I couldn't fault them, but now it seems only the name is the same.

I was in a rush this morning so only read the 1st page of reviews . Just shows it pays to read them all . Nb is it jyst me or do rutlands make the most dull and boring looking powertools .??

I have two!
I use the Stanley 59 version, it only has provision for drilling a single dowel hole at a time and for my woodwork it works great, and because it only comes with Imperial bushes I had to learn to grind my own lip and spur drill bits, and make my own dowels to suit, but I think these guys are talking about a whole different ball game with their expected levels of accuracy!
Steve.

Back