Dowel jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deaconspike

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for a good dowel jig? I'm looking to drill equidistant dowel holes into parallel mdf sheets to support movable shelving.

I’ve not purchased this jig as I’m not sure how much use it would get but I have several jigs/ tools from Banggood and the build and quality is impressive to say the least . Heavy aluminium and not cheap plastic .

For dowel joints then precision is absolutely critical, many if not most dowel jigs will not be made to a high enough standard of engineering to deliver guaranteed results and when it comes to assembly you get big issues with closing the joints. In your application it sounds like you are not actually looking to make dowel joints so something like that asian jig might work at a push, otherwise even though I believe the Dowelmax to be the best dowel jig it is not directly available in the UK so the Jessem is also really good and is what I now use for many applications along with my dowelmax.

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/jessem-dowelling-jig-with-6-8-10-and-12mm-heads-package/

Hello @Deaconspike

I am not sure I would go with any of the suggested above jigs for a row of shelve holes. None of them was designed with a "row holes for shelving" as a primary function. I assume previous posters did not actually read your question beyond the title.

Regarding your actual question - If it is for one off job then you could make one yourselves.

Here's one option:
1. Take a short batten and drill two holes (A, B) in it at the desired distance for moving your shelves later.
2. Take a longer batten (it should be long enough to span the length of your shelf space) and drill one hole (C).
3. Place the short batten on top of the long one and thread a dowel or drill bit through holes A and C to align them.
4. Align the rest of the short batten along the length of the long one, thread a drill bit through hole B, and drill the long batten (creating hole D).
5. Repeat step 3 over the newly drilled hole D in the long batten.
6. Keep repeating steps 3 to 5 as many times as necessary.

Video demonstration:

If you plan to do it regularly and do not want to go Festool/Mafell LR32 route, but don't mind buying from a far eastern website, then here is a jig that comes recommended (second part of the video where Dennis demonstrates a "multi-row puncher":
1705490903911.png

available from banggood - but you have to be careful and understand what exactly you have selected to add to basket, as pictures there may be misleading. Item description usually explains what each option actually means

so something like that asian jig might work at a push,
Maybe you should try it ? It's a lot better than 'at a pinch'
People certainly need to be careful as there are some nasty cheap copies of woodworking kit on the global market, but the DrillPro jig referenced above is a really a very good bit of kit.
First thing I did was check it with a Moore & Wright engineering square and it's all true. No slop in anything, even the drills work well and cleanly. In use it's delivered excellent joints so far. I can't see anything it could do better.

Maybe the North American kit might be more durable in a full time production environment, but for occasional use I can't see any reason to spend FOUR times as much on something that performs just as well.

Hello @Deaconspike

I am not sure I would go with any of the suggested above jigs for a row of shelve holes. None of them was designed with a "row holes for shelving" as a primary function. I assume previous posters did not actually read your question beyond the title.
Before criticising others recommendations maybe you should check what they're suggesting ?
Whilst not it's primary function, the DrillPro has the option to space holes regularly with the extended referencing function/parts that are included (Note the Jessem doesn't have this). You can use it to drill regular holes along a reference surface up to 300mm apart.

Last edited:
People certainly need to be careful as there are some nasty cheap copies of woodworking kit on the global market, but the DrillPro jig referenced above is a really a very good bit of kit.
That is the big issue, it is like playing Russian roulette because you never know what you are going to get and if you look at some previous threads you will see that these asian sites are even using images from the likes of woodpeckers to sell something that is absolute plastic junk but you only find out when it arrives. For me I don't want the surprises and want something that is well engineered and will do the job. Why these sites are selling such shiette has no reasoning because they are more than capable of delivering products that could equal the best but seem to think us brits only purchase on price alone. The Dowelmax I use is engineered so that all the drill guides are precisely located and it works because of the symmetry of the block, there is an asian clone of the Dowelmax that looks the same but has been manufactured to much lower standards which you will discover when you come to assembly of the joint, we are talking about thousanths of an inch but they make all the difference when it comes to dowels and it is this precision engineering that cost time and money.

Last edited:
That is the big issue, it is like playing Russian roulette because you never know what you are getting
That's why you need to take care and check out what others have said about anything you're thinking of buying.
In this case there's several YT videos recommending it and the buyer reviews on the site give a good indications of what problems you might encounter. Most critical reviews are pretty trivial of this item, missing screws or scratches, missing screws are easily replaced, scratches might be annoying, but don't' effect functionality.
Buying by credit card or PayPal will ensure that you're basically protected against non-delivery or complete failure to describe correctly.
and if you look at some previous threads you will see that these asian sites are even using images from the likes of woodpeckers to sell something that is absolute plastic junk but you only find out when it arrives.
Yes, that's happened to me. Mildly annoying, but no financial loss.
For me I don't want the surprises and want something that is well engineered and will do the job.
If you're happy to pay four times the price, that's your choice.
I'll keep the money in my account and get a more versatile product too.

Hello @Deaconspike

One other thing worth mentioning (if you decide to go "buy" route) - if you are drilling shelf pin holes, these are typically 5mm. You can buy shelf pins of other sizes, but 5mm are going to be more accessible and in larger variety.

Regular dowel jigs usually don't come with a 5mm bushing. While you can purchase a 5mm bushing for the jig I mentioned in my previous post, it's an optional extra. I'm not sure if the other jigs mentioned so far even have a 5mm option.

Has anyone got the Mafell DDF 40 dowell machine and what do they think of it? I know it expensive I am interested of peoples thoughts?

I’ve said this before and I don’t mind repeating it - I’ve made multiple purchases from Banggood none of which were cheap plastic and all were of good if not excellent design . Yes there are often copies of the more well known brands and of which I also have ( woodpeckers and bridge city etc ) they are accurate and well made not the cheap , horrible plastic crock of shirts that is available on eBay and Amazon etc .I personally think they are ideal for those new to woodwork given the cost of the originals -as said 3 or 4 times the cost .also the same makers often make multiple tools ( veiko , drill pro ,and fonson ) and the buyer reviews tell you what you need I don’t part with my hard earned easily and so far I’ve not had to send anything back . As for reading the description that applies to everything .I was sceptical at 1st but as said with the protection of pay pal etc you can,t go wrong . I’d have no problem reccomending them to others . On the subject of woodpeckers who without any doubt make top end tools and jigs but they also make several tools that seem to do the exact job as other woodpecker tools . You buy one - great awesome quality and a month later there’s another tool that does exactly the same as the one you spent a small fortune on weeks before .. just my opinion of course ..

Last edited:
Anyone have any recommendations for a good dowel jig? I'm looking to drill equidistant dowel holes into parallel mdf sheets to support movable shelving.
I'd be inclined to pencil in the vertical line for the front row of holes, then mark them out with dividers, the pencil in the horizontal line of each shelf with a square and mark the back holes with dividers, from the front row.
Drilling the hole exactly on the pinned mark is then another problem but not difficult.
I've done this with bookshelves with short 1/2" dowels as shelf supports. No prob, and nothing to buy!
Would work the same with 5mm bought pins.
Quite common in older book cases, which is where I got the idea from.
The weight of the shelf tends to make an impression where it sits on the dowels, which is enough to keep them located, but you can refine this if necessary.
This plenty accurate enough for shelf support but not for marking dowels as joints. A useful gadget here is a dowel pin marker like a double ended drawing pin. You pin these onto the end of the rail or whatever and then tap the rail onto the stile to pick up the marks from the through pins. I think you can buy these but not sure.
PS here they are! Faithfull Dowel Centre Points but you drop the markers into pre drilled holes then mark the joining piece.

Last edited:
A useful gadget here is a dowel pin marker like a double ended drawing pin. You pin these onto the end of the rail or whatever and then tap the rail onto the stile to pick up the marks from the through pins. I think you can buy these but not sure.
PS here they are! Faithfull Dowel Centre Points but you drop the markers into pre drilled holes then mark the joining piece.
"I think you can buy these" So you've never actually used these ?
I have, they're rubbish, slow, awkward and imprecise.
The old Record/Marples dowel jig isn't much better. Imprecise, awkward, not particularly versatile and worst of all very fragile.
At least the latest dowel jigs from N America and their Chinese versions do the job easily, quickly and reliably.

Hello @Deaconspike

Regarding your actual question - If it is for one off job then you could make one yourselves.

Here's one option:
1. Take a short batten and drill two holes (A, B) in it at the desired distance for moving your shelves later.
2. Take a longer batten (it should be long enough to span the length of your shelf space) and drill one hole (C).
3. Place the short batten on top of the long one and thread a dowel or drill bit through holes A and C to align them.
4. Align the rest of the short batten along the length of the long one, thread a drill bit through hole B, and drill the long batten (creating hole D).
5. Repeat step 3 over the newly drilled hole D in the long batten.
6. Keep repeating steps 3 to 5 as many times as necessary.

Video demonstration:

If you plan to do it regularly and do not want to go Festool/Mafell LR32 route, but don't mind buying from a far eastern website, then here is a jig that comes recommended (second part of the video where Dennis demonstrates a "multi-row puncher":
View attachment 173953

available from banggood - but you have to be careful and understand what exactly you have selected to add to basket, as pictures there may be misleading. Item description usually explains what each option actually means

I have that one from Bangood and can confirm it's very accurate and easy to use.

I’ve said this before and I don’t mind repeating it - I’ve made multiple purchases from Banggood none of which were cheap plastic and all were of good if not excellent design . Yes there are often copies of the more well known brands and of which I also have ( woodpeckers and bridge city etc ) they are accurate and well made not the cheap , horrible plastic crock of shirts that is available on eBay and Amazon etc .I personally think they are ideal for those new to woodwork given the cost of the originals -as said 3 or 4 times the cost .also the same makers often make multiple tools ( veiko , drill pro ,and fonson ) and the buyer reviews tell you what you need I don’t part with my hard earned easily and so far I’ve not had to send anything back . As for reading the description that applies to everything .I was sceptical at 1st but as said with the protection of pay pal etc you can,t go wrong . I’d have no problem reccomending them to others . On the subject of woodpeckers who without any doubt make top end tools and jigs but they also make several tools that seem to do the exact job as other woodpecker tools . You buy one - great awesome quality and a month later there’s another tool that does exactly the same as the one you spent a small fortune on weeks before .. just my opinion of course ..
I have not had the same experience. Whilst the couple of jigs I purchased from Bangood looked impressive the accuracy in machining was poor giving mediocre results. Yes, they are inexpensive but I'd prefer something that works well and will last.

Back