Drill bits for tiles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Just looking for recommendations really. I have a few tasks coming up that I have to be careful with as the tiles can't be matched or repaired and I need to drill a number of holes. Before I go off and buy the first thing I see, does anyone have any recommendations on a particularly good brand?

TIA

If possible I try to position things so that I can drill holes in the joints between 2 tiles rather than in the tiles themselves. This makes it easier to hide the hole if I change my mind!

If I have to drill tiles I first score through the glaze with a tile cutter to prevent the drill from wandering. Then I use a good quality masonry drill, going slowly and not applying too much pressure. Seems to work OK.

Good luck Colin,

Colin

It very much depends on the type of tile. Porcelain for example is rock hard and when I tried drilling some bathroom porcelain tiles, I swear that the tiles sniggered when I approached with my masonry drill as it simply had zero impact.

My advice would be to buy the small hollowcore diamond tipped drill bits. Here's a link from a quick google but you can get them cheaper.

http://www.diamond-drill-bit-and-tool.com/Diamond-Drill/MAIN.htm

Cut a V shape in a scrap of MDF and use that to support the drill bit. Cant it over slightly to start with then as it starts to bite gradually bring it up square.

Roger

I've always gotten away with using a good masonry bit. I use a bit of masking tape over the mark to prevent scratching and then get a friendly (sometimes) assistant with a kitchen water spray to keep the bit cool. Never had any problems yet. I'm on my 3rd bathroom/house.

BB - Like Tom, I always use a masonary bit (except for Porcelain - puppy to drill).

The masking tape is a good idea, but I use a small nail punch and give it a few VERY gentle taps at the point where I want to drill. This leaves a small indentation in the tile, into which the drill tip will register, thereby avoiding any slippage.

Cheers

Karl

Thanks for all the advice/tips,

I'll order some masonry bits and have at it. Luckily the tiles aren't porcalain - just your average cheap bathroom tile.

I suppose it's ok to use regular wall plugs?

I suppose it depends on the type of wall. Just treat it the same.

In all the many bathrooms etc I did...
Mark your hole with a little tap with a nail to nick through the glaze, -decent masonry bit , nice and slowly to start with and NEVER on 'hammer'.

never broke a tile yet, and drilled thousands of them. 8)

And 'ordinary' red or brown rawlies are as good a fixing into tile as you'll get, :D

Same as Simon,I've found the Bosch multi-construction bits to be excellent - no hammer action,and just gently until you are through the glaze.

Andrew

actually I have that Bosch set in my drill box and find them very good.

karl":omr19962 said:
I use a small nail punch and give it a few VERY gentle taps at the point where I want to drill. This leaves a small indentation in the tile, into which the drill tip will register, thereby avoiding any slippage.

I do the same - works every time :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I've always broken through the glaze with a glass bit, then used a masonary drill (no hammer). Never had a problem (like so many of the other options :D ) Make sure the tile you're drilling through is lying/held flat with no wobble on it.)

Normal wall plugs are fine - make sure all of the plug is in the wall, not the tile.

Up to you I guess, but I wouldn't use an expansion fitting in tile.

What about this? 6mm diamond bit. Guide with water to keep bit cool.

drill.jpg

Jake":1w29lxru said:
Up to you I guess, but I wouldn't use an expansion fitting in tile.

A rawlplug's perfect for tiles, don't push it through into the 'void' of a studwall. ( including the drywall board itself ) they're not designed to hold in plasterboard. Fastbrollys or unifix anchors ( togglebolts ) are the correct fixings for plasterboard.. better still into a proper 'dwang', ( noggins you southern fellas call 'em ! ) - not where 'tiling' is concerned obviously, but just plain plasterboard itself.

But don't on any account push a rawlie THRU a tile to fix into a plasterboard + nothingness, you'll have 4 tiles all off round about it within a year, and a big-ass hole into the bargain.
Thats why is got a flange on it in the first place.. to STOP it going any further into the hole than its first point of contact. ( i.e. the tiles face )

It expands in a concentric fashion, which the circular hole in a tile is ideal to accommodate and maintain all its strength. Tiles are weak in many aspects but not in that fashion.
The motion on a 'hollow fixing' is linear.. totally different mechanics behind how the support strength is achieved.

Dinnie poke 'em thru tiles into nuthin'ness !
thats nae what there fur !
Your relying then on plasterboard to accommodate all the support... and you just stated that you wouldn''t do it to a TILE ???
no no no Ma'am ... thou art barking up a very errant tree

I just wouldn't use a rawlplug at all on a tiled plasterboard wall (not that I have many, which is why I didn't think about them in my original post).

As you say, some other plasterboard fixing if you must or, better, into a stud or brace between studs if there is any significant load.

ByronBlack":1exghjgn said:
Just looking for recommendations really. I have a few tasks coming up that I have to be careful with as the tiles can't be matched or repaired and I need to drill a number of holes. Before I go off and buy the first thing I see, does anyone have any recommendations on a particularly good brand?

TIA

Hi BB, I use a bit made especially for drilling tiles, it looks a bit like an inverted heart on a shaft and is excellent, I got mine from B/Q in the tiling section, they do 3 sizes and cost around a fiver for 2, it may seem expensive but they last for ever and are easy to put a new edge on.

Rich.

Back