Drill bit with Forstner countersink? Does it exist?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

Reaction score
Sorry for stupid question, but I cannot find this bit or know if it exists.

I want to drill a 10mm hole with a larger flat counter sink to hide a screw. (see example).

I know theres confirmat, and counter drills, but none seem to offer just a flat forstner type counter. Does such a drill bit exist?

Thank you for any advise.

Attachments

• drill hole.jpg
    drill hole.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 159
You won't get a single bit to do that. Just use a standard forstner bit for the counterbore and a 10mm bit for the through hole.

John

There are drills in that style but finding the right size combo could be very tricky if not impossible. You can grind your own if you like too. If this is only a one off type job though then best to do as mentioned above, use 2 drill bits.

nev":uzc5bxhy said:
Have a search for flat bottomed countersink or counterbore

some examples, the wrong size but they do others?

Thanks nev. I did intend to do quite a few holes so at least I know they do exist. Just got to find a 10mm one :)

Do a search for 10mm "bullet" drill. Homebase should stock them. It will cut a pilot and the counterbore in one go but you'll then need to drill right through with a bit to suit the screw diameter.

Bigstinka":389k8idf said:
I know you can get them to suit cap headscrews. Can't think what to call them

For cap head socket screws you normally drill a hole and then use a counterbore for the head. They often come in sets, sometimes with removable pilots. I have several sizes.

If you have lots to do though it's probably worth having a custom bit ground. I've got one in the shed. I'll post a picture if I can find it.

Found it:

24b710f206f7b9b4a6b06371ad2fdb6a_zpsimdlchfy.jpg

The pilot is 9mm and the larger diameter is 15mm and its marked "M8" so I guess it's meant for M8 socket screws. It cost me about £3 at one of the model engineering shows. It's on a MT2 shank.

Back