Drawing plans.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat ferret

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to draw some plans for a barn conversion and hopefully have them approved by planning authority. I am not an architect but will be carrying out all work apart from wiring myself, (not an electrician either). I would like to draw my own plans as it should save money and make it easier to actually build them!

Has anyone done anything similar. My first thought was technical drawing from college but may be easier using computer nowadays. Any useful programs, reading ect?

Thanks.

There are people doing designs and full construction documentation in SketchUp Pro and LayOut. And if you want to go with drawing your plans out on the computer instead of by hand, don't fall for the story that the learning curve is steep and long. That just isn't true.

I watched Restoration Man last night and the guy managed with hand drawn plans on a listed cottage so it should be possible. Have an informal word with your planning office as to what they expect?

There arr plenty of architects that produce pencil drawings so dont feel obliged to use cad unless you want to. There arr plenty of A3 ink jet printers on the market now, so you consider buying one, then you wont need to keep taking A1 or A0 size drawings downtown for copying.

If you are not familiar with planning requirements, there is likely to be a checklist you can download from your local authority. The drawings you will need include all 4 elevations and plans of the existing property (possibly ground floor and roof plan). Then another set of the proposed elevations. Scale probably 1 to 100.

Buildings regulations need a separate set of annotated drawings.

Pencil every time!
The learning curve for CAD, even Sketchup, is steep and long.

The drawings have to be informative and readable but don't have to be up to the standard of a professional. There are plenty of places who will do you A1 size prints if needs be, but yes A3 printer a good idea.

Thanks all, quick helpful response. Robin, useful info. Four elevations before and after. Will speak to planning officer if possible and see what else required.I will do it by hand then if 'puter isn't necessary. I will have a look at any other plans I can get my hands on.

Anyone recommend any text books or internet sites to help me through the actual drawing?

Fat ferret":2yoz64ec said:
Anyone recommend any text books or internet sites to help me through the actual drawing?
Good one is "Draughtsmanship" Fraser Reekie. Well out of print but should be available from Abe Books etc. There are loads of others alternatives.
Personally I think it's a good idea to go the pencil route even if you intend to get into CAD later.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/t ... er-reekie/

Only 67p here! http://www.waterstonesmarketplace.com/b ... 0713133684

Jacob":84ysprb3 said:
Personally I think it's a good idea to go the pencil route even if you intend to get into CAD later.

Absolutely. Doing pencil drawings will give you an appreciation of how to lay out a drawing, because you can always see the whole 'picture'. On computer, you can often only see a small patch at a time, and if you zoom out to see the full drawing, you lose the detail because the screen is small. If you haven't had time on a board, that can be hard to live with.

A draughtsman of considerable skill that I worked with, familiar with both pencil and computer, reckoned the drawing board better for conceptual design and layouts for the reasons given above, but the computer better for repetitive detail and quicker for changes to drawings (which happen a lot!).

I did my training on the board, and had moved to a desk by the time computers swept through the D.O., so didn't get any CAD training. The general opinion from those that knew was that it took about 200 hours to become reasonably proficient with Autocad, and a lot longer to be really fast and fluent. Consequently, you may well find that you can have the drawing board set up, the drawings done and the prints made in the time it takes you to work out how to use even a fairly straightforward software package.

One tip - practice your printing. Neat and easily readable notes and wording are so much better than scruffy scrawl, and give an impression that you know what you're doing (even if you don't!). I learned my print style by tracing a really good example I found, and developing the knack was surprisingly quick. Well worth a couple of hours invested.

lol

The time it will take you to learn how to draw a few lines in draftsight will be minimal compared to how many times you'll redraw it on paper.

Yes you can get planning and regs on fag packet drawings but your much likely to get approved first time round with proper drawings, I assume your barn isn't listed or facing a main road ? Some authority's can be funny with change in usage.

Also check your local authorities website for planning information & www.planningportal.gov.uk/ for more info and pricing.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me

Cheshirechappie":186rzxxk said:
The general opinion from those that knew was that it took about 200 hours to become reasonably proficient with Autocad, and a lot longer to be really fast and fluent.

I must politely disagree. I worked on a board with pencil or ink and then became desk based as a Project Manager. I got so fed up trying to explain things or correct the work done our specially employed "technician" who has a degree in computer aided design that I taught myself 2D AutoCAD in a couple of weeks of spare moments at my desk. Yes, your ability and speed improves with time but to grasp the basics of drawing rectangles, which architectural stuff basically is, is fairly simple.

Anthony

"All things are difficult before they are easy."
Thomas Fuller

I'm going through this process with a small extension right now.
It was easy getting planning consent with my amateurish fag packet sketches.
However, despite the simplicity of the project - a 3x5 metre single storey lean-to, the builder was very dubious of going ahead without proper drawings, and in addition, a third party with an interest in the property has now insisted (quite understandably)that the build is subject to a Building Control Application, which will require...proper drawings...
So, I could have saved myself a whole bundle of time and had these done in the first place.

I drew the plans for the my barn conversion for both planning and listed consent, for me it's on the drawing board. I always think the best way to approach these things is down to your own skill set. I have always done paper drawings from furniture design and various building and renovation jobs over the years. I am not a natural computer user and would rather stay with what I know.

If you are going down the computer route sketch up is possibly one of the easiest routes.

Cheers Peter

Silas Gull":1apqhw67 said:
....the build is subject to a Building Control Application, which will require...proper drawings...
Not necessarily. Adequate drawings for a few things perhaps but most of the details can be sorted by specification.

I know that my workshop is not a dwelling, no internal walls and suchlike, but I drew that in SU and provided they were to scale and the scale was printed clearly on each A4 page (4 elevations and a plan) the planning dept was happy. They were passed without question. The only problem I had was with the height. I'd labelled it 4.5m but drawn it at 4.7m because I'd forgotten to take into account the thickness of the roof SIPS (which in the end I did not use). Once I'd sorted that, it went through without a hitch. The BCO has never asked for any further drawings, but he did insist that I apply for a non-material change to PA when I decided to put windows in the front rather than in the north-facing roof. Again no problem, £27 please. Kerching.

Jacob":1r4q8ktq said:
Silas Gull":1r4q8ktq said:
....the build is subject to a Building Control Application, which will require...proper drawings...
Not necessarily. Adequate drawings for a few things perhaps but most of the details can be sorted by specification.

This website is quite good for b/regs detail drawings. http://www.buildingregs4plans.co.uk
As Jacob says, the key is specification. You may find an independant building control company more helpful for the inspections. The most important thing is to make sure you dont miss out on any areas that could create expensive remedial work. If you download a summary of the building regs you can see what each section covers, ie fire, ventilation, energy efficiency etc.

If you are using a builder for the whole build, it is likely you will need to supply the full spec or you may struggle to obtain quotes.

Thanks lads, lots to think about, going to draw by hand, I have never used computer drawing before and if I can do it without I will.

Going to buy the book Jacob recommended and drawing board and a lot of paper. I will do all the work myself except for wiring. Joiner by trade.

Back