Draper Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhr

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this will not sit well with many of you but has anyone any experience with the Draper router? A review suggested that the fixed base could be used in a router table and the motor removed for use in the plunge base. I am aware of a certain reputation Draper tools have had in the past but there are positive reviews concerning the present generation.

I cannot find a Draper stockist with any machines in stock, they will order one for me but I can do that myself direct. I really want to take a close look and handle it.

Draper say they have no records that show which stockist has bought a router (unbelievable!). A most unhelpful experience.

As a last resort I suppose I will have to move a complete router from table to hand-held. I just thought the Draper way would be easier.

I don't think Focus stock this particular router. Draper seem to have a DIY range as stocked by Focus etc and a Trade range stocked generally by trade outlets. I believe there is a significant difference between the two ranges. I bought this router combo set about six months ago as it seemed a bargain at about £120, I have also bought some other Draper bargains mainly from the Wickes Pro range, specifically an 18v Combi drill that last weekend drilled over 90 holes in brick on a part charge, I was very impressed.

I've no idea how the DIY stuff stacks up but the pro stuff in my experience has been excellent for what I paid for them, though it is fair to say they have all been bought at fairly heavily discounted prices.

Hope this helps

Richard

machinemart used to be the main outlet for draper.

that aside most of the cheapo routers are pretty similar (often identical apart from branding) so you might well find that wickes own, performance power, power plus, extreme power, clarke etc would do just as well as draper if you dont want to spend a lot of dosh

We had a member buy one of these last year and I was very negative about it (well it is Draper). But it's got some good reviews since and I've been tempted. In the end, I'm really not sure if I would get use out of the two bases?

What are the benefits of the fixed base? Wouldn't it just be better to have a 2nd router?

wizer":8452vht4 said:
But it's got some good reviews since and I've been tempted.
?

didnt you just sell two routers tom ? - you need to join the TA ( no not the teritorial army, not with your back ;) I was thinking of toolaholics anonymous, :D so you can get some help for the shiny thing addiction :lol: )

yes well I'm selling to upgrade my router line up. But I did have rather too many router, I'll admit.

The Freud won over the draper. I also had considered the 'proper' Bosch version which gets rave reviews both here and especially in the states. If the draper is just a direct clone with a cheaper motor, when it could be worth a punt.

(oh and it was four router that I just sold...)

The Draper is not a clone of the bosch they are very different in terms of design and quality, the Draper looks very similar to the type sold in the US under the Craftsman brand. Like I said don't confuse the DIY range with the Pro range, they are two very different things.

Thanks Richard, I'll remember not to do that in future.

wizer":1ez4j9dt said:
The Freud won over the draper. I also had considered the 'proper' Bosch version which gets rave reviews both here and especially in the states.

Is that the Freud FT3000? I'd be interested to hear how you get on with that I why you went for that one over, say, the Trend T11 (I assume this is for table use?).

That dual-base Bosch router looks a little underpowered for table use, anyway. IIRC, the motor's only 1400w, which probably isn't ideal if you intend to do lots of rebating and shaping - then again, it depends on what you do want to do. :) One advantage of the dual-base system is that you could leave one fixed to the router table, remove the router and fit the other base for hand-held work.

Price Olly :D It won't be here for a few weeks. But I think I'll be able to muster some words and pics. ;)

Many thanks for your thoughts although I am not sure why a Freud got a mention. Anyway I have decided to go ahead and hope to get the Draper that is on Ebay at the moment. I need a small router with a half inch collet for a small additional table and cost and space are both issues.

Back