Draper cordless, whats your opinion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know much about draper power tools, my sense is they are not as good as prosumer stuff like dewalt or makita, more from their price than anything else, also I don't remember ever seeing any recomendations for their kit on this forum in any of the buying advice type threads.

That aside, I'd question how many of those tools you have regular use for, personally I'd start with a drill kit with batteries and charger (that seems to be one of the more cost effective ways of buying two batteries and a charger, commonly the drill is virtually free depending on the offer) and then buy bare tools as and when they are needed. that way you can pick the exact models that suit your needs, and you wont have unused or barely used tools. You could also have more of a two tier approach, say milwaukee fuel for your most used tools then erbauer for whatever has more occasional use

Also there is always going to be the question of the merits of cordless vs corded, the consensus seems to be if you use dust extraction you may as well buy corded tools, especially in a workshop environment as oppossed to site use. If you go corded it is even easier to buy the right tool at the right price at the right time, as you have no constraints of battery platform

My first cordless (25 years ago) was a Draper and it lasted well for diy use until the battery gave up. My general impression of Draper is that they are good, middle of the road quality. Similar to Ryobi.
Like @TheUnicorn I wouldn't go for a full toolbox like this, I buy a tool only when I've convinced myself I've got a real need it.
Brian

I got rid of all my assorted cordless tools (plus other random 240v stuff) on FB Marketplace, during the first lockdown. The only cordless I kept was a new Milwaukee drill and driver. Since then I’ve added a second drill and an impact wrench and I will only buy more cordless when absolutely necessary. The rest of my tools are 240v and are suited to the way I work.

Probably the same system as worx / ferrex ok but not as good as DeWalt makita etc.

Look at Ryobi / Stanley if your on a budget.

Probably the same system as worx / ferrex ok but not as good as DeWalt makita etc.

Look at Ryobi / Stanley if your on a budget.
.... or Einhell . . . I swapped out various corded stuff for this brand 8 or 9 months ago and so far very good - even a garden blower running off the same battery platform

I have an einhell 18v hedge trimmer, which is fine, and as I had the battery I got a reciprocating saw, it was less than £50 and for that money and with right blade I can't fault it. My elderly mother wanted a light battery strimmer, and wouldn't listen to me that a strimmer will either be expensive, heavy and powerful or lightweight and underpowered, non the less, bought an einhell 18v strimmer, shockingly shockingly bad, placky and barely able to bend the grass over

IMO you'd be better off with Parkside pro gear ( I have some of their cordless gear 5 year guarantee, what is not to like ) and a tracksaw is more use than a circular saw.2 amp batteries are OK for screwdrivers,4 amp minimum for everything else, so you'd need at least 3 more 4 amp batteries.They'll ( 4 amp batteries ) take about 30 minutes each to charge even on a rapid charger.

IMO you'd be better off with Parkside pro gear ( I have some of their cordless gear 5 year guarantee, what is not to like ) and a tracksaw is more use than a circular saw.2 amp batteries are OK for screwdrivers,4 amp minimum for everything else, so you'd need at least 3 more 4 amp batteries.They'll ( 4 amp batteries ) take about 30 minutes each to charge even on a rapid charger.
I'd avoid parkside in this scenario, mostly because if you are putting a kit together bit by bit, when you decide you need a tracksaw, you don't want to wait six months for it to come into the leaflet, only to find that item didn't get into your store, or the last one sold just before you got there.

also I think the quality of their tools varies way too much. some items are great value, others are a waste of time and money

I found a company who have all the Parkside stuff permanently, so no waiting ( but blue , not green , Sheppach make much of the Parkside stuff, these people have it at Parkside prices ) and Grizzly ( who also source a lot of Parkside stuff ) Germany will deliver in Europe.But since Brexit , they don't deliver or sell to the UK. Lidl allow web sales in some mainland European countries ( not yet France ) , so stuff can be ordered from them and then sent on, Belgium is near to France, a Belgian mate is useful.The other company are based in Holland, they have 99 % of the middle aisle stuff and much more besides , they will ship to Ireland, but UK is not on their list since Brexit. Agreed not all their stuff is worthwhile, but what is is waay cheaper than the competition, and often cheaper than Scheppach own for the same item. When Parkside stuff comes out of the box , the worthwhile stuff always has Scheppach manuals and says get in touch with them direct or via Kompernass.

They are probably perfectly adequate for purpose but unlikely to be as good as the better larger brands offerings.
One factor to remember is continuity of the platform, for example Festool promise 10 years parts support minimum, I have 15 year old Makita LXT 18v stuff that will use the batteries they make now. Its no good having stuff you can`t get new batteris for after 2 years.
Also the number of tools that go with the battery, Makita have an enormous number for example.
You could look at the Metabo CAS battery alliance thing where several companies use the same battery platform offering good range.
Even within a companies range there is quality standards like 4 grades of drill/driver with increasingly better motors and metal or plastic gearbox options etc.

Last edited:
Agreed, they won't be as good , but given that the OP is looking a a "Draper pack", I don't think Festool or Makita is on the cards. I had a fully equipped 300sq metre workshop in the south, woodworking tools, metal working tools, garage tools including 6 large compressors ,a vehicle lift that could raise my Transit over my head and a near full set of snap on gear and it's equivalent in France Facom and Gedor. All stolen while in storage in the south of France after we moved to here in the North West. We lost easily 250k worth all in, plus clothes , furniture, books, an entire stock from a high end lingerie and bikini manufacturers whose entire stock ( made up garments , fixings and thousands of metres of very expensive lycra and lace ) I bought out when they went bust .Our insurers wouldn't cover us as the place storing it was not registered as a business ( they were all that was available as we had to move fast for family reasons MIL was very ill at this end of France ) I know for a fact that the people we were storing with stole it all, they said our unit had been burgled, and they thought that they had written to us about it. No way to prove it though.So, I've been buying tools for the second time, and renovating this house top to bottom including electricity and plumbing and a lot of brick and block work .Had to build a workshop on, this time only can add 20 sq metres due to the size of the land and local planning.Lidl gear is better than the carp at our local french screwfix subsidiary..otherwise I have to drive 200km to see Festool etc , and due to green rules in that town , my car which pollutes far less than a new Audi Chelsea tractor isn't allowed in the town where the tool shops ( B&Q equivalent ) are. Parkside isn't the best, but it is better than a lot of stuff twice the price. If your choices are limited, and you aren't looking to go into business using your tools on site, you can do a lot worse than some of their gear. I'd love another bandsaw that could do 30cm or greater cuts, but my Scheppach with 80mm depth does for now.

Depends on the OPs budget..one Festool saw alone cost more than the Draper set.

Last edited:
I would dispute that - I used kit with only 2ah batteries for many years in a working environment.
If you're using saws or putting in 1000s of large screws, yes you need larger batteries - but for normal use the small size and and lighter weight can be an advantage. They all have their place. I have a 3ah Milwaukee battery I rarely use, preferring the 2ah ones.

Back