Dovetail jigs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inoffthered

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Comrades, this woodworking lark is addictive. Having started turning a few years ago I have now started making things but there's a limit to what you can do with nails, glue and screws so i have been looking at more sophisticated ways of joining bits of wood, hence this question about dovetail jigs...can anyone recommend any of the dovetail jigs currently on the market?

The reviews of some of them seem to suggest they are difficult to use/unreliable etc etc. Looking at items for sale fleabay there are several where the owner has added the comment "only used once/twice"!

So any guidance would be gratefully received. I know that it is possible to cut dovetails with a saw and chisel and i may try that but could do with something to help out until i can master the art of doing them without a jig.

Have a go at hand made dovetails, its not that difficult and far more rewarding and cheaper than buying a jig. There are some excellent utube videos with lots a excellent tips and hints if how to get them passable.

If you can saw straight, the rest you will find easy.

I recommend the Dakota one from Rutlands, it's just an ally plate and a couple of cutters but is faultless and so easy to set up. JMHO. :wink:

I have 3 in all
a elu 12 " one which works well but only lapped dovetails and 12 " limit
A trend cdj 600 with lapped plate and box plates use that for longer joints ( 24")
But the one I use almost all the time is the
trend dc400 very versatile and easy to set up
can do lapped , through and box joints spaced almost where you want them and I dont need to be reading instructions every time I use it
From start to finish a joint can be done in 2 minutes really ( 16")

Ian

flh801978,
Thanks, that's interesting.
I have looked at the DC400 but wondered if the click in bits would be strong enough. I'm always a bit nervous about taking internet reviews too seriously because you dont know whether they are genuine users or placements by the manufacturer (yes I know, that's a cynical view) That's why I started this thread, to get comments from users. There are lots of jigs on fleabay which have "only been used once or twice" which is open to interpretation.

The click in bits on the trend are really strong and well made
I have all the bits stored in a organiser box and as yet havent broken any
I've made perhaps 150 joints so far
If you do buy it make sure that you get the accesory kit with ALL the different sizes of finger and router bits
It can add up in cost if you buy it all seperately

Ian

I bought the trend one a while ago for a load of dovetail drawers for a project, whilst making really nice joints, it did after a while become difficult to tighten/undo the lock down part. if I buy another i'll either get a leigh jig or just buy a dovetailing machine from the bay. but you may find different if only using occasionaly. even though it's just using a jig and router, once correctly set up it is incredibly pleasurable to put the two pieces together and have a super tight and clean dovetail.

nathan

I can recommend a good dozuki Japanese saw, marking gauge and sharp chisel. Works for me. I've never used a jog with router.
Jim

I've just been rude about Rutlands in another thread, so this is a bit inconsistent. Their Dakota one is extremely similar to the Stots' one that Mr Stot used to sell (AKA "Template Master"). They're not quite the same, IMHO the Stots one is better, but hard to find now (mine is S/H). Both have the big advantage (I think) that you can make second-generation templates from them, and then use those in production. It means you can chew them up without damaging the original, and you can vary the designs (longer runs of dovetails, skipping spaces, etc.). They take a small investment of time to set up right, but they're overall much easier and faster to use than the clamping sort.

I'm sure the Leigh/Freud things are wonderful, but they're eyewateringly expensive to make what for me is an occasional joint. I had/still have the clamping sort, but IMHO they're truly horrible to use.

If you can find a Stots' one - buy it, as they're brilliant. If not, the Dakota is probably second best. Now if only Rutlands would sell it at a sensible price...

E.

PS: see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRP6IFcsuJ8. I'd guess the Dakota is almost identical to use.
PPS: It looks like the Stots one is still available in the USA: http://www.milescraft.com/products/wood-joining/jigs-pins-and-kits/dovetail-template-master.html - well worth it if you can find a way to buy one.

I used to have the Leigh. It cut perfect dovetails - eventually. The problem was that I didn't use it very often and so I had to read the instruction manual every time. I was not very productive.
I started to make them on the bandsaw, following instructions from Mark Duginski's book. Once I'd figured out that when he says "with" he means "without" I got on very well with it. I've since developed the technique further, eliminating some rather dodgy bandsaw practice. It's great for small batch production as you have virtually unlimited design options, just as you have with a DT saw and chisel.
But actually I would echo the advice to buy a good jap saw, marking knife and chisel and learn to do them by hand. The first one will be awful and you will bin it, but you'll be pleased with the second one and after than you will be a grand master. And all that while the fancy jig is still on its way being shipped to you.
The fundamental problem is that with a jig there is a limit as to how narrow you can make the pins, so some, even if they fit perfectly, are as ugly as a pantomime dame.
S

Back