Douglas Fir Garage Doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesStam

Reaction score
Morning all,
I've had some garage doors made out of Douglas fir. They're t&g boards on the front running vertically.

I would quite like to keep a natural wood finish rather than paint them.

What finish do people recommend for such wood? The doors won't get any direct sunlight as they're north facing and they're fairly well protected from the rain above by 400mm soffit.

Ideally I don't want a gloss finish but do want suitable, long lasting protection.

You've probably guessed I'm a newbie.

Many thanks,
James

Epoxy and then varnish to protect against UV light.
As is standard practice on yachts.

Cheers James

For exterior woodwork these days I only use Sikkens (not the water based though) it’s the best I’ve used over the last 30+ years. It’s not cheap but goes a long way, I’ve just bought a can to finish a redwood carport I’m building.

For exterior woodwork these days I only use Sikkens (not the water based though) it’s the best I’ve used over the last 30+ years. It’s not cheap but goes a long way, I’ve just bought a can to finish a redwood carport I’m building.
I've had a look online, which Sikkens product? Thanks.

I always use Sikkens.

You want one coat of the basecoat which is called Cetol HLS plus, then a couple of topcoats which is the Cetol Filter 7 plus.

Not cheap but good stuff (y)

I use Sikkens HLS which is a low colour build finish, it can be followed up with Sikkens filter 7 which is a medium colour build, or just used on its own in which case I give it three coats.

I use Sikkens HLS which is a low colour build finish, it can be followed up with Sikkens filter 7 which is a medium colour build, or just used on its own in which case I give it three coats.

The HLS (low build) can be used on it's own on softwood but the filter 7 (medium build) is recommended for hardwood.

I fitted some off the peg Oak exterior doors for a customer, usual veneered rubbish. The customer stained them really well with Sikkens using the HLS basecoat and filter 7 topcoat. As always the veneer started lifting so they complained to the supplier, the supplier blamed the failure on the fact they hadn't used a high build stain (read the small print!) :rolleyes:

Until then I never knew about stains being classed as low, medium and high build.

Flame it!! This is douglas fir cladding, waney edge ( my brother has a saw mill ) and I did a light shou sugi ban ( japanese technique of weathering ) on it. Although to get really good results they generally charr the timber, whereas i am mainly after the look plus a bit of protection. I have no idea how long it will last

Attachments

• 20210309_115233.jpg
    20210309_115233.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210208_133313.jpg
    20210208_133313.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back