Doug fir v Redwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkman

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm making a replacement for the sad looking canopy below, and deciding on what woods to use.
I believe doug fir is supposed to have more durability than regular redwood pine but if its painted does that make much difference? I think I wanted to give the thing a fighting chance if the client's re-painting regime lapsed
I was thinking of using Doug Fir for the more exposed timbers (they'll still be under a coat or two of paint) and regular stuff for other bits.
Not even sure I'd get the moulding run out in Doug Fir anyway

Opinions appreciated, what would you use?

Cheers
Mark

title by markuspalarkus, on Flickr

With a painted finish, it really doesn't matter. If its painted well then that's the finish that will face the weather, not the wood. If you make sure all the precautions are taken like knotting, ensure the wood is dry, decent priming coat and top coats etc then it could be balsa wood because the paint will be sealing the wood from weathering. If the timber were exposed then the choice of weather resistance is more critical. Whats far more important is that the painted finish is maintained into the future to prevent water ingress as the sun causes it to crack and dry. Typically every 5 years or so it will need a good look over to see if it needs attention.

Many thanks Bob
I think redwood it is. I'll just start sending threatening letters to the client in 5 years time so they're too scared not to re-paint it! : )

Back