Door seals?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPinonit

Established Member
Reaction score
I have two doors that need the seals replacing. One of the doors is the back door, leading out of the kitchen and the seal is a fairly large black affair. It is quite rubbery - almost as if it is circular.

The other is on our external garage door and has been painted over by the idiots who built the house #-o . They identified themselves as fully qualified idiots when originally they forgot to put a door into the garage, so I had to demand they retrofit one. They cut the brickwork away and removed halves of bricks from every other course so they could instal the frame/door. In doing so, they made a complete mess of everything and the door never fit and shut properly. After 5 years I'm feeling the need to sort it out properly so that it is more in keeping with the home workshop I'm trying to create. The seal in this door is a buff coloured v-shaped plastic - or at least it would be if the idiots hadn't painted it :sign3: . As they did paint it, it is hard and prevents the door from closing. I could try to add photos if it helps, but I'm hoping this is a very easy question for someone.

[after all that :roll: ] My question is: what are these seals called and can they be bought and installed seperately (as spare parts)?

Most door seals are available seperately - some by the metre & some by the roll. Any chance of some piccies, there are that many different seals, hard to visualise the ones you have?

Hope this helps....pictures of the back (kitchen) door seal:
4494068056_4953ea826d.jpg
4494068138_c9ee455363.jpg

Pictures of the garage door seal:
4494068482_2a99481934.jpg
4494068256_069e34f990.jpg

I know these are difficult to make out, but the paint mostly obscures them. The second of these pics shows the seal having been damaged/broken by the door, but hopefully gives some idea of the type I'm after.

Cheers for the link Mattty. Looks like I'd have to try to dig the garage door seal out then compare profiles. Still not sure about the kitchen one, as none look as though they are a match.

Any idea if Screwfix sell this stuff, or what section it would be in their catalogue?

SPinonit":30rhcpuz said:
Cheers for the link Mattty. Looks like I'd have to try to dig the garage door seal out then compare profiles. Still not sure about the kitchen one, as none look as though they are a match.

Any idea if Screwfix sell this stuff, or what section it would be in their catalogue?

Screwfix - no chance. Sorry to burst that bubble. The black one looks to be some sort of self-adhesive type, as I can't see any channel that it goes in?

The [black] seal does fit in a channel - roughly a third of the right-hand side of the strip fits into the channel. Unfortunately, cos our builders were rubbish [total utter complete shoddy rubbish], the quality of the door fittings/accessories are equaly doubtful. Our house was so bad that the BBC even voted it the worst house in Britain!! ](*,)

Most things, like window handles, I have never seen before and I have and still am having difficulty finding a stockist who can supply the right replacements for ordinary sundries. I only need the kitchen one replaced cos our [then] dog chewed it to bits when he was a pup.

I might be able to remove parts of the strips so that I can show at a shop - trouble is I'm not sure which shop, especially in Suffolk as there seems such a limited range of any kind of supplier.

The black ones in the first 2 pics look like "aquamac 21". I buy mine by the roll, 200m but you should be able to buy it by the meter. Should be about £1 per meter. Not sure about the other one, sorry.

Woodguy.

Edit - forgot to say, you get it in bronze (the brown color shown) or white.

www.reddiseals.com have various sorts mostly at catalogue pages 46 to 50 but also some others elsewhere in the catalogue.

You might also want to fit a smoke and fire (intumecent) seal if there is an internal door between garage and house.

Graham

Latest posts

Back